are prep cooks getting replaced?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by scott livesey, May 1, 2017.

1. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have asked the restaurant owners I know locally about knives and such.  they said most everyone in the kitchen has a knife or two, but rarely use them.  these owners have all had a visit from the Hobart  or Robot coupe salesman and all invested in this http://www.webstaurantstore.com/hob...od-processor-with-12-hub-1-hp/42584186-1.html or a similar beast.  A friend said, "I don't have to pay it, it is never late, never has a head ache and wants to leave early, always here, will never develp carpel tunnel, always slices stuff the same". 

Is this happening all over or just here?  

2. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Good god. Is this where the industry is headed? Race to the bottom....

3. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Those things have been around for years. I used one almost forty years ago. Limited utility in my opinion. Not changing anything.

4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    The buffalo chopper had its time in the 70's and early 80's it was extremely bulky and very difficult to clean. Oh, and slow. It was replaced by the food proccesor a.k.a robot coupe, and no one has ever looked back. Ever. I am very sure Hobart stopped making them mid 1980 s.

A robot coupe will julliene well (carrot salad, coleslaw, shredded cheese, etc) but this is high volume grunt work which would take hours to do by hand, and no customer will pay for this. The robot coupe also excels at emulsions, purees, and meat farces, tasks that can not be done with knives and cutting boards.

A good sharp knife and good knife skills are essential for virtually alll a la carte presentations, and this is where it shows, and where the customer will pay.

Questions?

5. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Thank you for putting this in better language than I.

Buffalo choppers, and food processors have their place in the kitchen. I myself have used them in years past. They make quick work of product and contribute to getting the job done fast and on to other things.

That being said, I have some issues with these machines for a reason.

If I want to shred or julienne sure these machine are great for that. 

But......If I want a presentation, I will cut all of this by hand.

To me, the "presentation" and "just getting these vegetables chopped" are 2 different things.

This is what foodpump was getting at. The public pays for that presentation.

6. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    These choppers are still in production.  https://cdn2.webdamdb.com/md_521gf1lH53h3.jpg.pdf?1475612877  They are very useful in a production kitchen.  They are not made for fine dining.  Want chop a case or three of cabbage for slaw, this will do it.  I did not find it hard to clean but older models may have been.  They do a good job for their intended use.  Every prison need one.

7. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef