are meat tenderizer safe

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dagger, Aug 31, 2017.

1. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Blade, harmers or just poking with a fork is it safe. Read 6 of 1, half dozen of the other so I'm sure this must have come up in chef school.

2. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I don't understand the question. Are you asking whether meat tenderizers are safe? If so, which kind did you have in mind?

3. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I have the spring loaded kind but us tenderizing safe in general. One post said it can push contaminates into the meat while another said it dries out meat

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    And they're both right as far as it goes. These are usually used on the tough cuts of meat that you would normally braise. And once tenderized they're always cooked well done. You wouldn't use it on anything you cook rare because that's already tender.

As to drying it out, these foods are usually cooked quickly in a fry or batter and fry so the drying-out concern is kind of overblown as well.

The resulting texture is also something to talk about. Some people describe it as pre-chewed rather than tender. It is easier to cut into than otherwise but it's not in the same category of tender as a naturally tender cut of meat. Or a tough cut cooked long and slow until it is tender.

5. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Well is the thin knife cuts 48 blades not the round spike ones of old. I'm guessig pounding with the teeth hammer must be the worst but the flat end is good for flatten out cutlets