Are dragees banned in Florida?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by sugaredellipses, Dec 19, 2009.

1. sugaredellipses

I'm trying to figure out if dragees are legally banned in Florida. The reason I ask is that an online purveyor told me that they are "outlawed", yet my local store does carry them (at $14 a pop which is part of the reason I turned to the internet for a cheaper price) and there are other online stores that seem to sell to Florida. I did a search on the Florida Department of Health and Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services websites finding nothing about dragees. Anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks in advance!
  2. kylew

The only thing I could find was that metallic dragees were no longer available in California.

A third form of dragée is a small sphere of sugar, used primarily in the decoration of cookies, cakes, and other forms of bakery. These dragées are produced in various sizes, typically 3 and 4 millimeters in diameter. This is larger than nonpareils and smaller than large pearl tapioca.
    Silver dragées have long been used for both wedding and holiday food decoration. More recently, metallic gold, copper, and rainbow colors (red, green, blue, etc.), as well as pearlescent colors, have become available.
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration considers the metallic-finish dragées to be inedible, and are sold with a notice that they are for decorative purposes only. Early in the 20th century, the silver finish may have contained mercury (it does not now). The sale of these dragées was banned for some time. Although the metallic-finish dragées can be purchased in 49 U.S. states, they are no longer sold in California due to a 2003 lawsuit against several sellers.[2] However in other countries (including the United Kingdom) they are classed as food items.