are cells allowed?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by toddlove8845, Oct 29, 2005.

1. toddlove8845

toddlove8845

Do you allow cell phones in the kitchen? I have a very strong pet peeve against cells in the kitchen. Even if its on vibrate, there are not too many exceptions where I would tolerate it.

2. lwp

lwp

Not during service unless there's a very legit reason for it (family member near death, baby about to be born). Other times I don't mind so much as long as it doesn't turn into long conversations that interrupt the work. A quick "Hello. Yep. Ok. Goodbye." I don't mind. Somebody leaning on a table carrying on an extended gab session gets told to put it away the first time, the second time phone calls can happen on their own time from then on. They absolutely, positively have to be on vibrate though. Phones ringing non-stop bore into my head and make me grumpy... especially with some of those "cute" ring tones people like to use.

3. mikeb

mikeb

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    In the kitchen I work in, several cooks have cell phones and answer them. I do as well. Hasn't been a problem - everyones responsible enough to know when to answer them and not to talk for too long, chef doesn't seem to mind.

4. andrew563

andrew563

I don't have a problem with cells. As long as they are not being answered during service. I view it as the same as calls coming in over the house phone. If its dead, go ahead, take the call. But if its busy, no way! In fact, I won't even answer the phone when I have tickets working. When theres down time, or break time, go ahead , return the call you got on your cell.

5. paul

paul

I equipped everybody in my kitchen with a cell phone, blackberry, GPS system, laptop computer, and headsets. It is required for them to have all these items on their person to be in my kitchen. Yes, I am a control freak.

6. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Don't like them. If it's an emergency they can call the land line to the kitchen. But why does a cook have to accept a call in the middle of his shift anyway? G/F or friends calling to see what time he's off work and where to go after that? Call them on your lunch break, I'm paying you to do a job, and you can't do it when you're on the phone. If Bob can use his cell phone, then so can I, and so can the d/w who's a chronic horse gambler and is constantly making bets.

Just my 2 cents...