Arborio Rice

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by marzoli, Mar 9, 2001.

1. marzoli

marzoli

I would like to try to make risotto, but the recipes all call for arborio rice. Unfortunately, store around here do not anything called arborio. Is there another name? Is there some other rice that would work? :D

2. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I couldn't agree more. If it isn't arborio, it's not a real risotto. I'm sure if you go one of the better stores in your area they will order it for you. You can always ask you local Italian restaurant where they get theirs.

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Sandy both Schnucks and Dierbergs carry them, when you go to the Hill stock up, it'll last. I use barley also but there is no rice substitute that works. Arborio...makes great rice pudding too.

4. marzoli

marzoli

Hey, thanks! Maybe the Schnucks in our area sells it. That would be cool! I don't get there often, but it'd be worth the special trip. :D

5. ruthy

ruthy

If you find a rice called carnaroli or vialone snap it it up! Both are superior to the regular arborio. You may have one other option. The Japanese style medium grain rice grown in California - I think one brand name is Kokuho Rose, or something like that - is similar in size and starch content to arborio and that should be fairly easy to find. Although I have never used it to make risotto I have used arborio to make sushi with excellent results. I would be interested to know if this works in reverse.