April 2021 Challenge: Fowl Play

Joined Mar 1, 2017
My offering for this month's challenge is Chicken Paprikash. I haven't made this dish in a very long time. I recently watched a cooking video that featured Paprikash and reminded me how good it really is. So, I decided to make it and enter it in this month's challenge.

I didn't make the traditional Hungarian dumplings (Nokedii) because it was a bit too late and I was a bit too tired. :)

Also, forgive the picture quality. My wife, who has the good camera phone, wasn't home when I made this. So, I had to use mine.

What You Will Need:

- Several chicken thighs, preferably bone in (white meat tends to dry out);
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1/2 Fennel bulb, diced (optional);
- 2-3 Tbsp EVOO
- 4-6 baby bella mushrooms, diced (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp minced garlic;
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth;
- 2-3 Tbsp Flour;
- 1 - 2 cups Sweet Paprika (or whatever style paprika is available. I used Sweet Spanish)
- 1-2 Tbsp quality tomato paste;
- About 1 cup or so full fat sour cream, plus extra for garnish;
- 1-2 Tbsps fresh chives or green onion, chopped;
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Hungarian dumplings (Nokedii) or if you don't have them (or don't want to make them), you can use wide egg noodles such as pappardelle or generic egg noodles like the one's I used. Any sort of pasta will work.

1. Generously salt both sides of the chicken thighs and let rest until they reach room temperature.

2. In large, deep skillet, add the EVOO and brown the chicken over med/high heat. The end goal here is to build a good fond;

3. Once browned, remove the chicken to a plate, reduce the heat to med/low and add the diced onion and fennel with a generous pinch of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Sautee until the onion and fennel are soft and have acquired a bit of color. The deeper the color, the richer the end product. You should have a healthy fond built up on the bottom of the pan at this point.

4. Add the tomato paste and flour to the pan and thoroughly combine with the onion and fennel. Let cook for about 3 or 4 minutes to remove the raw edge of both the paste and flour and to add to the delicious fond on the bottom of the pan;

5. Once the raw edge has cooked off, add the minced garlic and paprika and combine thoroughly. This step and the following step must happen quickly to avoid potentially burning the garlic and paprika. So make sure your stock is ready.

6. Increase the heat to med/high and add the chicken stock to the pan about 1/4 cup at a time while constantly stirring to make a roux. Continue until all the stock has been added. Add as little or as much stock as you want depending on the desired thickness. The liquid will thicken as the temperature increases. Too thick, add more stock. Too thin, let it reduce.

7. Return the chicken to the pan, including any accumulated juices. Add the mushrooms, cover and let cook for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is tender. If you want "fall off the bone" chicken, cook for about 60 to 75 minutes;

8. When the chicken is done, remove from the chicken from the liquid and set aside. To finish the sauce, add about 1-2 large tablespoons of sour cream to the liquid and combine thoroughly. *Note: partial or 'lite" sour cream will separate. For best results, use a quality full fat sour cream;

9. Return the chicken to the skillet and turn off the heat and let stand while cooking the pasta/Nokedii.

10. Boil your pasta or Nokedii and serve the Paprikash over it and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and some chives.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_20210415_162937.jpg
    IMG_20210415_162937.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210415_163346.jpg
    IMG_20210415_163346.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210415_164126.jpg
    IMG_20210415_164126.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210415_180420.jpg
    IMG_20210415_180420.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 5

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
IMG_20210416_160359134.jpg

Brown off some onions until dry and crunchy. These are flavor and thickener.

IMG_20210416_171612227.jpg

Bloom some cardamom and cinnamon in oil. Then add a paste of onions, garlic and ginger. Cook that until it takes on some color.

IMG_20210416_172752564.jpg

Add ground spices and bloom. Then add the chicken and cook. Then yogurt. Then the greens, tomatoes, fried onions and season with salt and pepper.

Simmer 25 minutes. Garam masala at the end.
IMG_20210416_181539096.jpg

Usually the saag liquid is more yellow. I used a blend of heartier greens that I'm blaming for the dark color.

It needed a squeeze of lemon juice but my last two lemons had gone bad. Leftovers get some fresh lemon tomorrow.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 25, 2011
I’m going to a socially distanced birthday pool party today and decided I would bring my:

Chicken Pesto Pasta Salad

Dry rub of S&P, Italian Seasoning, Granulated Onion and Garlic, Crushed Red Pepper, and a little extra basil on Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast. Sous Vide to 152 deg and browned in pan and cubed

Pesto Sauce is EVOO, Roasted Pistachios, Garlic, Basil, Parmesan Cheese, S&P

Tossed with Tri color Rotini, Sautéed Red Pepper and Sweet onion, Steamed Broccoli and more Parmesan Cheese.

I had a bowl of it hot and it was delicious, but I put in in the fridge to let flavors set and will serve chilled. Perfect Hot Day poolside snack.
C066C606-B702-4802-AD77-DE02AB2D6A27.jpeg

Last edited:
Joined Aug 20, 2010
I made some chicken paprikash, simply because that's something you can't have too much of. I prefer the traditional version with chicken on the bone and only a few ingredients: good quality lard, onion, good quality Hungarian sweet paprika, some homemade chicken stock and some heavy cream, with perhaps a few dollops of full-fat sour cream. Those tiny dumplings called nokedli to go with it. That's the dish I grew up with. But I want to add that my absolute favourite paprikash is with catfish and served with homemade noodles with fresh cheese, smoked bacon and dill.

paprikash.jpg

Then I bought some morels at the market and made chicken in a creamy morel sauce. Actually, those are not true morels but rather a related, somewhat earlier-growing mushroom scientifically called Verpa bohemica, which some people even prefer over here. True morels should start growing any time now and I have my basket ready to go pick some myself! The dish is very simple: floured pieces of chicken, sautéed in butter with the morels, white wine and cream. Potato galettes with it this time.

morel chicken.jpg

Joined Oct 23, 2008
I was laying in bed kind of letting cooks country episodes stream and they did one on arroz con pollo. I grew up with my mom making "chicken and rice" and sometimes she'd use the "spanish rice" package so I've always enjoyed it. They did a pretty good job covering some of the key points. I've not made a sofrito before but this has a sofrito made with cilantro, onion, garlic, and cubanelle pepper. Then it incorporated some of the sofrito reserved in a sauce that was mayo based with lemon juice (I used lime)

I decided to make some black beans as well and put some deli bought mojo pork in with the beans. Not much of a picture but as far as comfort food goes it was pretty good.

arroz.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
It's not much, but it was really delicious. I had one grilled chicken thigh left and it was freezing and snowy yesterday. I took the last of the celery, a carrot, onion, garlic and parsley and sweated in a little evoo along with the thigh bone. I added a quart of plain Jane chicken stock and two bullion cubes reserving the meat. In another pan I cooked some tortellini then rinsed, oiled and set aside. At the end I added the meat, put the tortellini in bowls and ladled the brodo over top and served. Perfect for what felt like a cold winters day.

ACtC-3cD_nP3CNa-do6K_ZuyHUAQ58DL4yVn4Bgm76oucz3D1hPySy9E7pBHc30-Y6hq0XjrtHbTA4beGR61WW0tUe3TAd3UuwOGU9Q97RARXy48yIkUYOSJtjU3hp6TQkVqYphuhhv2mQOQmCwlVnLNVq44=w787-h1048-no

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I'm behind in posting.....
Earlier this month:
I had some frozen chicken breast. To put things in perspective, thats generally about 3 or 4 in a 500 gr pack ;)
In this case 4
I used half and marinated in my homemade calypso mustard, mixed with paprika powder and salt. Cooked on the braai and ate with bread
IMG_20210413_193149.jpg

IMG_20210413_193633.jpg

The left over 2 were marinated in yoghurt with garam masala, cumin, garlic (fresh) paprika powder and lots of ginger (fresh) and chili (fresh). Then taken out of the marinated and also cooked on the braai.
The left over marinade was put in a pot and cooked with a couple of whole freshly harvested cherry tomatoes.
The chicken was added to tjis concoction. The nice thing about that, is that you can char the chicken without worrying if it is cooked through and through. It will finish cooking in the sauce.
It's my easy going version of a tikka massala
I kepty fire a bit too low, would have liked more char on the chivken. Tasty none the less

IMG_20210414_184813.jpg
IMG_20210414_190455.jpg
IMG_20210414_190651.jpg

Joined Apr 25, 2011
My offering for this month's challenge is Chicken Paprikash. I haven't made this dish in a very long time. I recently watched a cooking video that featured Paprikash and reminded me how good it really is. So, I decided to make it and enter it in this month's challenge.

I didn't make the traditional Hungarian dumplings (Nokedii) because it was a bit too late and I was a bit too tired. :)

Also, forgive the picture quality. My wife, who has the good camera phone, wasn't home when I made this. So, I had to use mine.

What You Will Need:

- Several chicken thighs, preferably bone in (white meat tends to dry out);
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1/2 Fennel bulb, diced (optional);
- 2-3 Tbsp EVOO
- 4-6 baby bella mushrooms, diced (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp minced garlic;
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth;
- 2-3 Tbsp Flour;
- 1 - 2 cups Sweet Paprika (or whatever style paprika is available. I used Sweet Spanish)
- 1-2 Tbsp quality tomato paste;
- About 1 cup or so full fat sour cream, plus extra for garnish;
- 1-2 Tbsps fresh chives or green onion, chopped;
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Hungarian dumplings (Nokedii) or if you don't have them (or don't want to make them), you can use wide egg noodles such as pappardelle or generic egg noodles like the one's I used. Any sort of pasta will work.

1. Generously salt both sides of the chicken thighs and let rest until they reach room temperature.

2. In large, deep skillet, add the EVOO and brown the chicken over med/high heat. The end goal here is to build a good fond;

3. Once browned, remove the chicken to a plate, reduce the heat to med/low and add the diced onion and fennel with a generous pinch of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Sautee until the onion and fennel are soft and have acquired a bit of color. The deeper the color, the richer the end product. You should have a healthy fond built up on the bottom of the pan at this point.

4. Add the tomato paste and flour to the pan and thoroughly combine with the onion and fennel. Let cook for about 3 or 4 minutes to remove the raw edge of both the paste and flour and to add to the delicious fond on the bottom of the pan;

5. Once the raw edge has cooked off, add the minced garlic and paprika and combine thoroughly. This step and the following step must happen quickly to avoid potentially burning the garlic and paprika. So make sure your stock is ready.

6. Increase the heat to med/high and add the chicken stock to the pan about 1/4 cup at a time while constantly stirring to make a roux. Continue until all the stock has been added. Add as little or as much stock as you want depending on the desired thickness. The liquid will thicken as the temperature increases. Too thick, add more stock. Too thin, let it reduce.

7. Return the chicken to the pan, including any accumulated juices. Add the mushrooms, cover and let cook for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is tender. If you want "fall off the bone" chicken, cook for about 60 to 75 minutes;

8. When the chicken is done, remove from the chicken from the liquid and set aside. To finish the sauce, add about 1-2 large tablespoons of sour cream to the liquid and combine thoroughly. *Note: partial or 'lite" sour cream will separate. For best results, use a quality full fat sour cream;

9. Return the chicken to the skillet and turn off the heat and let stand while cooking the pasta/Nokedii.

10. Boil your pasta or Nokedii and serve the Paprikash over it and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and some chives.

Enjoy!
I can’t this out of my head! I will have to make it. Thanks for the great instruction.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Yes, chicken paprikash is very tasty, especially over home made egg noodles. I was thinking of doing the Hungarian version of spaetzle, nokedli, but went with flat noodles.

20210427_100420.jpg

Getting down to the wire, not much time left folks!

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Ah well,

Left over from my rotisserie chicken got turned into noodle soup
IMG_20210426_123759.jpg

That was lunch, then after watching thr moon rise
IMG_20210426_175125.jpg

The remainder got turned into a stir fry
IMG_20210426_183913.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Thighs on sale this week so I bought a "family pack". Did two tonight - seasoned with salt, pepper,a roasted garlic powder, and smoked paprika - skin side down in a cold pan (cast iron) and brought to medium heat. While that was heating up I shucked some fresh Florida sweet corn and steamed them in an inch of salted water till it smell like corn. Made a salad of mixed greens, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, red pepper, shaved red onion, and shaved sheep's milk Pecorino Romano.

OtF-o4yS0fSdA5e4bhxuLp_4R2K7J-cJmZWt-VvqJDUoo9p9uBl3Hk6BkIROw467bKel2i7b-Yw2RmT1zZBs79d4UjB4GJyZwQUChd2LI6nZ8UMW_kGqYg0FtKDbh4cAFYEDch_iHuXe4q5rka-62FB2gl7lKoe3wUUa0Tbd6-zsE5CHF01FAeKv8oPYWVXI3JC4I6msu5uwctxy3uzltrJFh2DIZzqVrdaPDUO_00u7bCmlzWmvVV5N2T-H3L9HgdK8HDME2Mqk74tQowUjBINMvjMcxDl6wdCiEjJUKSCT4zxymcNzBYgDkYRSdqRbWzp522mNywPDdfKyt9SqjLL-l_ctqVjVQSlaQCWuWJGPdr9TwVhO3ggdZVILyFRqrquGgL2FtaXzlBZBM86yl4hxZAAROowsDKWrlIQG6q-SMvNPOh_86GzQY3wZnAbJElVpnbYWzrRSs-LrNC3ythA58b-YG2zpfjKK304FxFAnQewVZLqt1-J95nszYT0Wqmcd2NMY6-WnfhkxdpJv0k53910Wwccprovt84wm8FuiUBZz4VFbqDBfhadWNzxyEMkQTrl7szKRPq2CuTFSKP7LQTCL7_BBtYp5_OAMYvETrbw-uSJbFfZgfA5vTcrlRMpt-nV0r71sIoYrWEee1r2N0wgVEQbxf4EqPr1hmxv5f643N-m3SkgUk6oZo7btAhLuafcp7fgCwemmQhnaGDE=w493-h657-no

Latest posts

Top Bottom