April 2021 Challenge: Fowl Play

Joined Nov 5, 2007
bbq_cat.jpg

April, spring has sprung here in the Rockies. The forecast for this weekend in Salt Lake is sunny and warm, nearing 80F. Good grilling weather.

It has been a few years since the last poultry challenge, so that's the theme I picked for this month.

Chicken. Duck. Turkey. Quail, squab, pheasant. Maybe ostrich if you can find it.

Grilled, smoked, roasted, soups, stews, salads, stir fry, southern fried, Korean fried. French fricassee. Greek souvlaki. Italian parmesan. Indian curry. Cajun gumbo. Hot wings.

So everybody, get busy and give us the bird this month!

The usual rules post to follow.

mjb.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
  • The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.
mjb.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
What a coincidence. Went to Facebook,, and look at what popped up as a memory from 7 years ago.

1399087_841527279196705_71532599_o.jpg

Love a good roast chicken!

Hope to see some whole chicken entries. Probably no deep fried turkeys this time of year, though.

mjb.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
In the Southern US, Turkey season just opened. Maybe you'll get a wild fowl post!

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
In the Southern US, Turkey season just opened. Maybe you'll get a wild fowl post!
I'd love to see some wild turkeys, ducks. More game and fewer boneless, skinless right out of the plastic pieces. I do use them once in a while, but usually when I need that cut, I get the skin on with rib meat ones, and extract the cutlet and put the cut offs into the freezer for the next batch of stock.

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made chicken noodle soup today because it was snowing and 25f most of the day!!! Sad part is I used chicken from one I roasted TWO DAYS BEFORE THE END OF THE *bleeping* MONTH!!!!! Sorry I've been watching Luis Black rants lately - :lol:

Anyway here's a picture - 3hrs. @ 199F made for some good soup stock.
ACtC-3c0Zoe8A_2YM6y7IRkLGh0GLWlEuicBKqtmsDnY1JL5wXu-QcoeesNchI2Yv9Iqe9RITq_NWtYI0IWE8inxnAWLCLx3oz5_6FhsHJ98VcAL1NmiW66plYQnf2QPw3M0Ikr-ZuMgjRh6aLkCAAFt6_2x=w493-h657-no

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
Beautiful scenery!
I did have chicken the other day:
Thai green chicken curry from home made curry paste (trying to start selling those as a little business. At least I can eat the ones not sold).
I forgot to take pictures :(
Heated uo the left over curry the next day. Cooked till quite dry, then added cooked rice and fried. Finished with cracking 2 eggs in there for my green curry-egg-fried rice.
It looked boring, but tasted good.
Again, forgot pictures.....

Joined Oct 23, 2008
I got so wrapped up in what I was smoking yesterday (USDA Prime Beef Plate Ribs) I completely blanked when it came to the less fancy chicken breasts that I grilled. I cut these basically in half to get a consistent thickness, marinated in a garlic and herb marinade and grilled off. I have leftovers that I need to repurpose so hopefully I'll have a follow up soon. grilledgarlicherbchicken.jpg

Joined Apr 13, 2021
I have some pheasant in the freezer. Since I'm doing so much with my new sous vide cooker these days, maybe use that, then a slide through some flour, and a quick dip into some hot oil, should be juicy. with potatoes dauphinoise on the side?

Joined Apr 25, 2011
Peruvian Chicken

Grilled Chicken Breast with Aji Amarillo sauce. Served with Yellow Rice, Black Beans, Maduros, and Tomato Salad.

Dry rub on pounded out boneless skinless chicken breast: salt, pepper, Aji Amarillo powder, cumin, coriander, garlic, onion, jalapeño powder, ancho chili powder, paprika, and achiote powder. Set in cold box for 6 hours. Brushed with Achiote oil* Grilled direct med-high until cooked through.

Aji Amarillo sauce: Sour Cream, Mayo, Lime Juice, Aji Amarillo paste, garlic, jalapeños, cilantro, olive oil.

*Achiote oil is peanut oil infused with annatto seeds and garlic

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The original version uses chili and more chili oil. My family is not all on board with that.
I use a low sodium soy sauce. If you're using a regular soy sauce, cut back on the salt, i estimate by about 1/3 to 1/2.

1 lb boneless skinless thigh cut in 1 to 1 1/2 in pieces

Marinate in
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp MSG
¼ tsp white pepper powder
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp chili oil or more to taste
~1 tsp oil to coat

Veggies
2 carrots peeled, sliced on bias
2 celery rib sliced diagonally about 1/4 inch
1/4 large onion chunked
1 inch ginger, peeled, sliced thinly, julienne even better but optional
1-2 large clove garlic thinly sliced,julienne even better but optional.

Mid veggie season
Salt or more bouillon powder
Black Pepper

Finish
1/2-1 teaspoon soy sauce

Let chicken marinate 10 minutes.
Meanwhile prep veggies

In 12 inch non stick skillet for which you have any lid that fits, heat over high heat.

Add the chicken to the pan in a flat even layer. Let sear 3 minutes. This is the fry.

Cook another 2-3 minutes covered. This is the roast. They should be seared darkly, somewhat beyond golden brown. If not that dark, fry uncovered until they are properly seared.

Pan toss two or three times, then flip any individual unflipped pieces. That's fastest. If you haven't mastered the pan toss, off heat, turn over by hand.

Back on heat, top with garlic and ginger s then veggies, season and cover. Heat to medium, 2-3 minutes. Uncover, heat to high. Cook away built up liquid. Giving a pan toss every minute or so until the chicken and veggies are to your liking and sizzling vigourously, probably 2 minutes more. About 1 minute before it's done, swirl in the finishing soy sauce around the outside of the pan, or wherever your pan is the hottest. Pan toss through to mix and cook to the finished glaze, picking up all the pan fond.

For Lean Tender Pork variation
As this cooks faster than dark meat poultry, consider
Stir fry veggies first, remove, fry pork on high both sides, do not cover to maximize browning. Sprinkle half garlic ginger on meat, cook other half with veggies add vegies back to finish at the end, withhold any vegie juice.

For Tilapia filet
Increase ginger and shred it.
Add a bit of hot oil to pan for vegie and fish fry oil rather than in marinade. Add a teaspoon of rice wine to fish marinade.
Cook
veggies 1/2 - 2/3 way first with half ginger and garlic. Remove.
Then fish. cover for less time. Flip, add garlic and ginger, vegies, cover for even less and watch edges for overcooking of veggies until fish flakes. A little additionall soy and sesame oil is good.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Got 2 dishes to post. Just waiting for better internet connection.....
I'm sure there is more to come ;)

Top Bottom