April 2017 Cooking Challenge - Traditional Swedish Food!

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Ok. Research phase has begun. Is (what appears to me to be) German influence in some food just part of the overall Baltic food, or is this something specifically introduced to Sweden through immigration? I suppose I could answer much of this with google and wikipedia but since the host is from Sweden I think it's cool to make this part of the challenge discussion!

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Oh dear... I forgot two things: made Swedish meatballs with steamed potato for supper last night and forgot to take a picture, and completely forgot the lingonberry to go with them.  Dang... maybe next time.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
New to this site. How does the challenge work?
Make a dish that is consistent with the theme. Post a pic with description. If selected as winner you'd be the one to chose the theme next month (and the winner too).

Joined Nov 22, 2015

Ok. Research phase has begun. Is (what appears to me to be) German influence in some food just part of the overall Baltic food, or is this something specifically introduced to Sweden through immigration? I suppose I could answer much of this with google and wikipedia but since the host is from Sweden I think it's cool to make this part of the challenge discussion!
I'm not that well read on German food, except for sausages and Bratwursts and that's not very typical Swedish I'd say. :p I know my Swedish food pretty much ^^

Joined Apr 3, 2008

I can see a correlation between German food and Swedish food. When my parents lived in the US my mother went to an adult learning center to learn English. She became good friends with a woman from Sweden and we would go to each other's homes for dinner. This was my first contact wth Swedish food. I was a kid and I would not touch the fish back then but I'd be all over it now. I just remember thinking "wow, there is sauce on everything!"

Joined Jul 16, 2013
I would love too see someone having a go at "Kroppkakor". Real swedish comfort food.

Joined Jul 16, 2013
@kmchef love kalops. One of the few dishes i know 100% that my kids will eat [emoji]128512[/emoji]

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2016

This is my version of a classic Swedish dish...

Swedish Fish!

Served soaked in olive oil, on a bed of parsley with flower petals, drops of a fine balsamic and olive oil drops and seasoned to perfection!

(Someone had to do it. Right?)

Last edited:
Joined Apr 11, 2013
So this is definitely not my challenge lol. 

Basically i have almost no idea what is swedish food. 

BUT, i do know swedish waffles. 

But also it appears I gave away my waffle pan and didnt realize it until today. 

Regardless though i guess my dish isn´t traditional, but its defintely inspired by swedish food, especially waffles. And it was fun making this dish and getting all creative lol. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Savoury waffles with sunny side up egg, tomatoes, bacon, and sausage (breakfast for dinner). 

The waffle batter was seasoned with salt, pepper, safron, herbs, and some cumin. I added just a hint of sugar too. 

Last edited:
Top Bottom