April 2013 - Gelatin Challenge

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by eastshores, Apr 1, 2013.

1. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    For our first monthly challenge I thought hard about selecting a theme that would offer something challenging and hopefully new for many of us, yet still be accessible to the diverse group we have here. So the theme for the very first challenge is:

Gelatin!

Incorporate gelatin into a dish, desert or savory, use your imagination! To participate please post a little information on how you approached your dish and if possible upload a photo for others to enjoy. I hope this theme is acceptable to all.

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
  2. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ohhh. That is a nice one. Good thing we set a monthly timeline - gotta have to place an order with my butcher now... :D

3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Wow, never used it before. Thanks for starting this challenge eatshores! Should be fun. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

4. sophos

sophos

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Great idea, I'm in.

#subscribed

5. jake t bud

jake t bud

Exp:
    Home Cook
    So....This is going to end at the end of the month?

6. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yikes.  Usually the only time I think about gelatin is when I hope my beef stock is full of it.

Maybe it is time I learned about aspic.

mjb.

7. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Is adding gelatin to a failed glace de viande considered cheating?

I guess i'll be the voyeur of this challenge.

8. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Are we talking powdered or leaf gelatin, or naturally gelatin rich food? Or, I guess, submit what you will and forum members will determin who meets the theme best?

This is interesting guys (and gals).

Al

9. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Any form of gelatin. There are sheets, powders, and granules available. If you want to extract your own that works too!

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm definitely not gonna win this one.  But I'll try.

11. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    As for now this is not a competition! Just have fun and experiment if you want to join in /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

12. thesoupnazi

thesoupnazi

Exp:
    At home cook
    You do know there is a NH recipe for this, don't you???  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

13. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    We can all agree that eastshores choice was a real surprise. Well done!

I'm trying my first gelatine extravaganza.

14. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    First time using gelatin this way, but don’t be soft on me. I enjoy criticism. I had a simple vegs broth to which i added Szechuan peppercorns (not grinded, not heated) and at the end half spoon of sesame oil.

That was the base of the broth-gelatin. I used powdered neutral gelatin, sorry for that. May be the next time I'll have the patience of using cod, or pork head gelatin.

Meanwhile i tried to cook a perfect confit egg. After many years cooking it's still a challenge.

I trimmed the egg to fit the bowl cup, poured half of the gelatin, cooled it down and placed the egg on top.

Now a new gelatin layer goes on top of the egg.

Unmold the gelatin (i broke it, sorry ) over a bed of lettuce. Drizzle with drops of tepid demi glace and sesame oil. So, here it is. A rare and delicate broth gelatinized baveuse egg. You name it.

I can't describe the taste. It's amusing in the mouth. The texture is certainly a sensual, runny texture, which I like and will perfect. Szechuan peppers, once boiled, add a specific character, as well as the sesame oil.

The ice is broken.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
    foodlover1423 likes this.
  15. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Great job Ordo! That looks like what I guess was called eggs "aspic". Looks very good, I think you did great!!

16. thesoupnazi

thesoupnazi

Exp:
    At home cook
    Looks exactly like the faux oyster broth that Dutch posted. Awesome job. Really.

17. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ok, we ARE off to a great start here. Looks great, and I do find the combination of poached egg in aspic with sechuan pepper and sesame oil quite interesting, indeed!

I probably won't find time to visit my butcher until Saturday, and then I probably will have to pre-order some stuff... Thinking about starting with gelatin extracted from a couple of pig's feet myself and going the traditional local way, but that depends on availability.

18. veghead

veghead

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Last time I cooked meat professionally was about 20 years ago.  I hope I can remember... 

we would make up a thick gelatin mixture and poor a thin layer in the bottom of the plates.  Chill to help set then let the plates warm up to around 75* for serving.

I remember serving seared scallops, asparagus, and rice pilaf over a orange gelatin mixture.

One of the other cooks used to do sliced stake, grilled veggies, rice pilaf over a lime gelatin mixture

If I get a chance I will do something with mushrooms and serve it on a coated with gelatin to mess with my staff for pics...

19. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Wow ordo that looks amazing!

20. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Ordo, do you think that spraying a little oil would help in the release? I noticed you said yours broke, I had a similar experience today trying to use a round ring for an egg on the stove.. completely defeated my purpose as the egg white stuck to the mold and when I tried to remove it egg went everywhere!