Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by treedson, Aug 8, 2013.

  1. treedson


    Likes Received:
    Cook At Home
    Hello everyone, I'm a food lover, currently I looking for culinary/bakery apprenticeship in Europe with provided accommodation and basic meals, wage. As I didn't have any experience in professional kitchen nor attend any culinary school. I love cooking and baking at home, I learned from books and experimenting about it. I found my passion towards food industry is loaded. Now, I looking for a proper apprenticeship to grow my passion.
  2. lagom


    Likes Received:
    Professional Chef
    Language skills? Have you checked into the visa process? Northern europe or scandinavia you should be ok with english. If you go to france or south you need a at least a basic working knowledge of the local language. I may have a lead or two for you but it will take a bit of time to check out, the Neterlands is where I have a contact or two, Ill ask around locally as time alowes.
  3. foodpump


    Likes Received:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    O.K., some bedrock information to get you started.......

    In the U.S. and Canada, you get 12 years of public education, paid for with taxes. In most parts of Europe, you also get 12 years of public education, BUT, at around 14 years of age, (aprox gr. 9) there is a huge streamline split:

    The student is asked to either take an apprenticeship, or to go on with further education. It's usually 50/50, with apprenticeships as diverse as sales clerks (2 yrs) pharmacists (4 yrs) mechanics, plumbers, electronics specialists, engineers, etc. Cooks are typically 3 yrs, bakers 3 yrs, and waiters/esses 2 yrs. If you choose further education, it's another 3 yrs of classrooms in order to get you into university.

    Now, an apprenticeship is a 3-way contract between the apprentice, the employer, and the Gov't. The Gov't provides the classroom training, which is usually 1 day per week, the testing, and the credentials. You will need strong language skills for this portion of the apprenticeship, which are, naturally, in that country's national language.

    Since the Gov't is a partner and provides the classroom training, the apprenticeship is open only to citizens of that country.

    Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, you get your "papers".

    Informal apprenticeships provide you with no such documents.

    Employers are obliged to pay the going rate for apprenticed cooks, bakers, etc. but can pay what they want for employees without trades papers.

    There are various private cooking schools in European countries, but they only provide you with a "Diploma". Very few Europeans take this route, and instead take apprenticeships.

    You can learn a lot by working there, which is what I suggest, but I think you need to do a little more research into apprenticeships