Apprenticeship or Kitchen-hand job to start out?

Discussion in 'Culinary Externships / Internships' started by englishmanbo, Dec 6, 2015.

1. englishmanbo

englishmanbo

Exp:
    Other
    Should I commit to an apprenticeship or get a kitchen hand job and see how it goes.

Is it better to try for an apprenticeship in an elite hotel.

I have just finished school and am 18 years old with certificate in hospitality and 2 years part time experience in food handling (busy supermarket deli). I have a portfolio with photos and recipes from the certificate. I think I would be well suited to the work and expect to start out doing a fair bit of cleaning/food prep then slowly increase my knowledge and experience.

Thanks for any advice.

2. happyhound

happyhound

Exp:
    Former Chef
    "Kitchen hand job". Priceless.

3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I am all over internships if there is a strong willing mentor in the picture.

One you can trust to walk you to the edge of the cliff and boot you off when you are ready.

I had a mentor and became part of his family.

He found me bartending days at DFW airport and saw something in me.

I dabbled in just about every part of the industry and have fallen back on relationships and skills learned countless times throughout my life.

mimi

I went on to my planned life in medicine and I am absolutely certain my hospitality experience cemented my rise in the field.

m.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  4. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I believe strongly in Paid internships they know you are there to learn.  Starting just as a kitchen hand is for those with a future as a prep or line cook.  Think big and to your future.  I also believe that many young people who think kitchen hand is the best just don't realize how much better they would be with education and a mentor.  Flip flop is right on.