Apprenticeship help

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by wasabibobbi, Aug 5, 2010.

1. wasabibobbi

wasabibobbi

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hello,

This is my first post on this site as I am fairly new here.

I am currently attending JCCC in Overland Park, KS and enrolled in classes to be in the ACF apprenticeship program. Problem is I have no apprenticeship as there are currently no openings (or so my adviser told me). She told me if I could find one before September 1st I could be let in to the program and not just the classes. At this point I am super stressed to find something.

My real question here is... Someone I know told me to try talking to a chef at a local restaurant he used to work at, and I have no idea how to approach the situation. I don't know whether I should call him or go to the restaurant? Or even what time of day would be best? Also, I have no idea what to say beyond the words "I need an apprenticeship. Bad." My work experience in the industry is lacking as well seeing as I worked in a pizza joint in high school and had another job as a barista. 2 jobs I wouldn't count as any experience, really. All the cooking I do is at home. I don't even know where to begin with this. 

2. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think the best approach in this situation is honesty. "I am in school, I'm working on my skills and I want you to show me" or something along those lines. I think, right from the start, the expectations are out there. And then, work your tail off, keep your mouth shut and absorb everything.

You may encounter reluctance but, at some point, somebody will leave the door open. You will have quite a bit to prove, but if your heart is in it, that shouldn't be a problem.

3. aric87

aric87

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I would say your best bet is to go there, as a phone call is rather informal, and go during off hours. I would say between 2 and 4 during the week would be best. Sat maybe, but def not sunday. I find that sun is usually rather taxing all day in the kitchen. As Chef said, just be honest. Tell the chef that you are looking for an apprenticeship. Don't tell him you need one and are desperate, but tell him you are looking. Try to go somewhere you think will benefit your career as well. If you hate seafood, you should probably not go to a seafood place and tell them how excited you are, rather go someplace where you will be motivated to learn. Last, be very clear in your attentions when you talk to the chef. If you are looking for specific skills or pay or hours, if you make it clear in the beginning you are more likely to obtain those goals. good luck