Apples!!!!

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Well I just sampled the dz apples my guy sent..."Applesource" www.applesource.com
and tried the most excquisite variety...GOLDRUSH oh my gosh!!!the scent, the texture, the knock your socks off and curl your toes flavor...left the others in the dust.
Are there apples that do that for you?

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Gold Rush! never had it,What color is it?
Is it just for out of hand eating or do you think you can cook with it?
Being from New England I love Cortlands,Macouns,Macs Cortland being my favorite for the New England area.
I have had some heirloom variety from Goldbud in healsburg Northern California that where outstanding.
cc
I checked out the site..very nice.
Thanks for the info

[This message has been edited by cape chef (edited 12-23-2000).]

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Last year I got 1 dz that was a variety that was totally different than the variety I got this year....We do the compare contrast...again this was a gift to me both times...so I didn't realize that you could even get a box of Goldrush.....oh man..
Cooking I don't know they are really crisp.
Guess you could ask applesource.

We don't get any of those varities we get Fugis, Delicious, G. Delicious, Johnathon !!!!!, hmmmm I'm sure there are others but they must not impress me too much or I'd remember them...Mo. is a big apple state.

What I got this year...Jonalicious, Blushing Golden, T45, Stayman Winesap, Scarlet O'Hara, Spigold, Enterprise, Paragon, Melrose, Mutsu, Goldrush, Arkansas Black.

Goldrush is yellow with brown rusty speckles...not exceptionally pretty but that's OK with me.

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited 12-23-2000).]

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Great site, shroomgirl! Is that the only variety you ordered? I liked the idea of an apple-tasting party...lots of fun. Isn't it amazing how many types of apples there are?

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Never had a Macoon....NE area?
I would love to have a breakdown of which apples are good for pies, the last I made with granny smith and golden delicious were flavorless.....time to source out better pie apples.
Fugis anyone know if they are good in pies?

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Never tried baking a Fuji apple, but I'm surprised to hear you say that granny smith were flavorless in a pie. I think they're the perfect acidity and texture for pie.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Been my experience too....I love tart pies with caramel sauce drizzled over them.....

But this last batch of Grannys has been flavorless...just disappointing. Looking for alternatives....especially with varieties that grow in this area.

Joined Sep 25, 2000
Arkansas black are good, Elstar from Northern Europe are my favorite for making pies and such. Also some good ones are, Calville Blanc from France,Macoun not mocoon are spicy cross of the McIntosh, Mustu, Newtown Pippin, Pink Lady, Jonathan, Gala, Empire, Stayman Winesap, and the Granny Smith. All are good keepers and holds shape well.

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Well shroomgirl, I ordered a dozen apples from applesource, and they arrived today!! I got 2 ea. of blushing golden, Ida Red, Fuji, Goldrush, Ashmead's kernel, and Arkansas Black. The only one I've tried thus far was the one you suggested.. The goldrush. Wow!! You are right about those!! Similar to a Gala apple in flavor and texture, but more intense.

They runn a terrific business. Expensive, but worth it for all the variety they offer.

Thank you for telling us about it. I gave capechef the brochure when I was done with it.

Joined Dec 30, 1999
Sounds like great material for candied apples, caramel, chocolate and toasted almonds.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom