Chef Forum banner

Apple Sorbet Recipes

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mrmexico25 
#1 ·
In College tomorrow we've not got a restaurant day, so instead of cooking from a menu for the public, we're getting to make what we can from certain ingredients.

a kind of vegetable soup for a starter

using a chicken leg with some kind of sauce and veg for a main

and a dessert using canned apples

I was planning on doing an Apple Sorbet with the canned apples with a blackberry or raspberry coulis, so I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a recipe that uses canned/sliced apples, I can only find them with apple juice.

Could I just put them in a pan with apple juice, lemon and salt and simmer? or would I best just using the apple slices as a garnish? (I have to use the canned apple)

TL;DR, apple sorbet using canned apples, help?

Thanks. :)

#2 · (Edited)
Canned apples to make sorbet? Aaaaarrrrggghhh, what on earth are you talking about?

Get some Granny Smith apples. I'm sure you have access to a juicer in your school. Juice the apples and immediately pour through a paper coffee filter. If you don't do this, the juice will turn brown soon. Squeeze a little lemonjuice in, add sugar to taste, make sure all sugar dissolves. Take a few tbsp of that preparation and heat a little. Put gelatinesheet -soaked in cold water- in it a rato of 2 sheets per liter of juice. When the gelatine is dissolved, pour into the rest of the preparation. Put in an icecream machine. Done, it cannot get more basic than this.

A sorbet is not served with a coulis, it stands on its own.

#4 ·
It seems like your professor has been watching too many episodes of "Chopped" /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

I like it though! It will broden your horizons and challenge you to cook amazingly with sub par ingredients! Just GO FOR IT! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.