Apple Rose

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by petalsandcoco, Oct 31, 2014.

1. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    With fall almost at a close , I was having fun with some puff pastry and just wanted to share.

Two different colored apples for effect. Warm water (soften apples) with lemon juice to prevent oxidation. I used a mandoline for even thin slices.

I chose apricot jam and I use this a lot in my baking but you can use any jam/jelly you like.

This is the puff pastry, flawed.

Roll out 2 1/2' X 10". The bigger the flower, the longer the puff. Spread a thin layer of jam/jelly and sprinkle with cinnamon

Line up the apple slices while alternating in color. Make sure the apple slice are higher than the pastry.

pastry over, gently press down as jam/jelly will serve as a glue.

you roll it up, it will look like this

Bake in oven 400 F for 25 minutes. Make sure to put a toothpick to hold ends. Bake. Cool, sprinkle with icing sugar.

Final product, Apple Rose.

Note: 400 gr of puff pastry will give you 15 plus roses. The size of these are equal to a cupcake/muffin.

flipflopgirl and kuan like this.
  2. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The one strip pictured is rolled up to produce one flower?

3. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Yes, that's right. The trick is to put the slices in warm water, pat dry, line on puff and then it rolls up in seconds.

4. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Pure artistry again Petals!

Thanks for the demo... do you roll it the way it is in the picture? or do you have to flip it so the smaller part of the puff-pastry is on the outside.

5. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Thanks Michael.

It was rolled out from bottom to top. The pic is a bit deceiving to the eye but the width is just as wide both top and bottom, although bottom part of pic looks wider.
    I took the pic with my iPhone.

When you calculate the puff , maybe 2.99 for 400 gr plus 2 apples , some jam/jelly ( I like to empty that jar and just purée it, goes further) , these Apple rose's are so cost efficient .

They double in size.

6. colleens

colleens

Exp:
    Married To A Chef
    This is absolutely stunning. Petals you are extremely talented.  You never cease to impress!  I appreciate all the photos in the process.

7. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Kudos many times over. Great stuff!

8. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Thank you Colleen and Cheflayne, puff is such a versatile pastry to work with.

9. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @petalsandcoco

pretty cool!!  can I steel it and try it with frangipan? I won't sell it/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

10. fablesable

fablesable

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    @petalsandcoco   Brilliant!! Truly a lot of fun and your talent is so wonderful to witness through your pictures and gorgeous food.....thank you! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

11. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    @ Panini: Lol, you can put your own spin on anything I make here ! :p

@ Fable: Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated .

ChefTalk is a soft place to fall for those who like to embrace a new concept/exchange of thoughts, it also inspires.

12. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @petalsandcoco

Oh, for some reason I didn't get the jam pics, I'll do that. I'm going to play with puff tomorrow. Did you roll it pretty thin? Puff flawed?

13. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Yes, it needs to be thin , otherwise once it's rolled up the interior won't fully cook. (My own trial and error) . Also a thin layer of your choice of jam/jelly & the toothpick.
    I thawed the puff in the fridge overnight.

I'm always open to new ideas.

14. oops

oops

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Look nice...

15. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Stunning. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

16. luc_h

luc_h

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Très artisanal!

Stunning effect for such a simple technique.

Bravo! and encore!

Luc H.

17. dhammons

dhammons

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Stunningly beautiful! You said it's about the size of a cupcake, so do you think it could be baked in a cupcake pan? Would that hold it together instead of using a toothpick? Just a thought.

18. skyler

skyler

Exp:
    Home Cook
  19. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Thanks everyone for the great support.

@ DH : I tried that , here was my first attempt with a large muffin tin. The problem was that it did not bake on the interior. 

Puff needs 400 to properly bake in my humble opinion , otherwise it won't puff up. The core just would not come to temp in the muffin tin.

@ Skyler: Yes,  there are sites that have something similar but their recipes are not 100% accurate. The website that you posted has the jist but her slices are way too thick, her temp is off. She also needs a larger width of pastry to get the full effect. There are some sites that are using flat out pie dough, and that is it ok, but I was attempting to create something easy, minimal ingredients and cost effecient with a margin for profit and at the same time, catch the eye. 

:   

20. skyler

skyler

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I can understand your thinking regarding easy, cost efficient, and eye-catching!