Apple Marsala Sauce.... With Pork Belly and Scallops?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sluggerdog, Mar 31, 2010.

1. sluggerdog

sluggerdog

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi All,

I am planning on making a pork belly and sea scallops recipe on the weekend. Usually I make an apple sauce to go with the pork but thought it might be nice with scallops. While the sauce is nice I wanted to step it up a little so I have added Marsala. Just wondering what others though of this recipe and if it would go well with pork belly and scallops. The usual recipe is the same without the marsala and a 50/50 combo of juice and stock.

Thanks

APPLE Marsala Sauce
    ---------------------------------
    250ml apple juice
    125ml chicken stock
    125ml Marsala
    1/4 Onion
    Peppercorns
    Pan juices
    Butter
    Pepper
    Thicken Corn flour

- Boil juice, marsala, stock with whole peppercorns and onion until reduced
    - Strain then add back to the pot
    - add butter
    - thicken with corn flour

2. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Sluggerdog,

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It would be good to read the entire recipe plan, not just for the sauce  As in - how are you cooking the proteins?  How long for, etc....the scallops shouldn't be cooked too long obviously, perhaps added once the pork is fully cooked and the sauce pretty much finished too.

Instead of apple juice, why not stew some apples then strain, and you won't have to thicken the sauce very much at the end.

No salt?

Looking forward to your full recipe.

3. sluggerdog

sluggerdog

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello,

The sauce came up great. I wanted to end up skipping the cornflour by reducing the sauce more but it ended up reducing so much there wouldn't have been enough left and it still wasn't thick so I did end up using the cornflour after all. I like the sound of the stewed apples, might try that next time. Thanks

For the pork I slow cook it in an oven at 110C for 3 hours per kg, once done I place it in the fridge overnight with weights to flatten it, then the next day I put into the oven at around 200C to warm and brown up for around 30 mins.

Photo of the end result below.

See photo

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy169/adam_symonds/e9ca3cb3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010