Apple Juice/Cider - What's the Difference

Joined Dec 4, 2001
In the UK when you ask for cider you get an alcoholic beverage which is fermented apple juice. When I go to the grocery store here I look at 2 bottles from Martinelli for example; one is called apple juice and the other is called apple cider. The ingredients are exactly the same - Pure apple juice. So, what's the difference?

Thank you

Jock

Joined Oct 10, 2005
In the U.S., the difference between "apple juice" and "apple cider" is marketing. As explained on the Martinelli website, "in certain parts of the country some consumers simply prefer the cider label, which is the traditional name for apple juice."

Now, "hard cider," that's totally differnent. Mmmmm. :beer:

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Not sure about other parts of the country.. but near Sacramento, we have a place called Camino, CA (aka "Apple Hill")- they make a distinction between the two of-
apple juice- pressed, FILTERED, and pasturized apples- may contain sugar
apple cider- cold pressed, UNfiltered, usually not pasturized, no sugar added
Hard cider- UK cider- the fermented apple juice, may be as high as 8% alcohol, served in pubs everywhere

any help?

Joined Aug 13, 2006
yes, similar to boston, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple juice, (cold pressed???) is cider, and cider can be left out to become hard cider, since being unpasteurized it ferments. It's not sold on the shelves, but in the refrigerator section. It's brownish. while apple juice is transparent amber color.
i remember reading about hard cider being left out in the winter, and the non-alcoholic part freezes. What's left is of higher alcoholic content, don't remember what it was called.

Joined Jun 16, 2006
Ned Flanders to Marge Simpson

"If it's cloudy and brown, you're in cider town, if it's clear and yella, you got juice there, fella."

In one episode or another, "The Simpsons" can answer pretty much any question ever asked.

Kevin

Macho pizza.

Joined Jan 30, 2002
I was always taught that filtered, pasturized cider was apple juice.
Apple cider can/will ferment. Apple juice will not because of the addition of ascorbic acid. Apple cider is the juice of freshly pressed apples and doesn't have the ascorbic acid.

Ummmmmm a glass of cold apple cider would sure taste good right about now :beer: .

Joined Dec 4, 2001
Thanks a lot guys. At least now I won't waste time looking for something in the jar that isn't there :smiles:

Jock

Joined Aug 13, 2006
though this is not from the simpsons, (i agree, a veritable storehouse of wisdom) it sounds like the litmus paper thing:
blue to red, aced
red to blue, alkaloo
hey, that's why beet juice turns blue with soap, and stays red with vinegar! wow, illumination.

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Siduri- try cooking red cabbage in lemon water and baking soda water- cool color changes!

Top Bottom