Apple Apricot Braided Bread failure

Joined Dec 9, 2017
Hi am am new to this forum. I have a bread I make every Christmas but recently the bread fails at baking time. It is a soft dough made with eggs and butter, kneaded for 5 minutes and it then rises in the refrigerator for 2 hours before you shape the loaves. You roll out the dough, put apple apricot mixture down middle and then braid over top. Has worked for me for over 20 years but now it splits apart in the oven and the dough does not cook all the way through. Help!! please as this is our son's favourite Christmas treat:) Thank you.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Oven thermometers are cheap.
Buy a couple and locate in different areas then set your oven temp.
Don't use the "oven at temp" buzz...give it a bit more time (10 min or so) to allow the walls and deck to catch up.
I try to check calibration every time I turn the oven on.

mimi

Joined Dec 9, 2017
Thank you, i will try this today. then if temperature is ok I will make again tomorrow and maybe make dough a bit stiffer i.e. less soft?

Joined Dec 9, 2017
So I tested the oven with oven set to 350 for at least 20 min - middle rack near back is at 390 and near front of oven on middle rack is at 300. Do I need a new stove? Is this why my bread is falling apart in oven?

Joined Jun 27, 2012
That is a pretty big temp swing.
I suspect it is the door leaking heat.
Will be hard if not impossible to just adjust the oven control.
Try changing out the door seal and see if the front gets closer to the temp in the back and give it the good college try by adjusting the control.
If it is still fairly new and the DIY doesn't fix the problem then weigh the cost of something new vs pro service call and repairs.

mimi

Top Bottom