Chef Forum banner

Anyone Use a Food Processor? What For?

5K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  doraima3875 
#1 ·
Do many chefs use a food processor?

I never saw one in any kitchen I worked in or knew about, but I may be old school.

If anyone does use them, is that because they don't have a slicing machine and a dough mixer with a grating attachment, or are there some particulars uses where a food processor excels?

#4 ·
My world?

Choux paste, frangipani filling, but especially ganaches.

I first used one in 1984, in a 480 yr old kitchen in Switzerland. There it was used for mousses, farces, chopping garlic, mie de pain, and gawd knows what else.

30-odd years later, I have to say--like the others above me said, I've never been in a kitchen without one.

#13 ·
I can't think of any one more old school than Jacques Pepin and he uses one frequently in his cooking shows. He was an apprentice long before the food processor was invented. Technology doesn't always improve things but in this case it's a tremendous help. There's been one in every kitchen I can remember and I use one at home, for all the work already mentioned. I can imagine doing the same things without food processor but I wouldn't want to.
Then there are all the attachments for my home Kitchen Aid, which makes other tasks much easier.
I don't use any of it for every meal but it sure helps to have it there when I need it.

#15 ·
Things that I feel a food processor (Robot Coup) really excels at:
-making small batches of pie dough
-making emulsified dressings and sauces
-when wanting to make larger batches of items that are finely chopped, but not quite pureed such as pesto, hummus, certain types of salsa (with a blender it is easy to go too far and end up with a full puree)

Sure all of this stuff can be done by hand, but a food processor cuts down the time dramatically and in some cases, can actually create a better, more consistent product, if used properly.

#16 ·
I can imagine a professional kitchen that doesn’t have one. If fact when starting a new job one of the first things I do is an inventory of the equipment and if there’s anything I use that isn’t there I buy it. A food processor is Important in any kitchen. I use it for many things like pesto for example.

#18 ·
you've never seen a robo coupe in a kitchen? You've never seen a Waring Pro, Electrolux or a Hamilton Beach Commercial in a kitchen? you don't have attatchements on your kitchen aid stand mixers?

It depends on the quantity you're doing. Yes, there are some kitchens that take great pride in doing everything by hand, but most have them even if they don't use them. I guess a lot of companies buy precut,

#19 ·
Do many chefs use a food processor?

I never saw one in any kitchen I worked in or knew about, but I may be old school.

If anyone does use them, is that because they don't have a slicing machine and a dough mixer with a grating attachment, or are there some particulars uses where a food processor excels?
I am so surprised you haven't seen a RoboCoupe. This is a versatile and great tool since I have used it every day slicing, julienned or grating vegetables for my salads. I used it to coarsely grind my nuts and fresh herbs too. Even making sauces, dressings and vinaigrettes for salads. This tool will definitely cut down the time when doing slicing, grating, julienne and even mixing doughs especially pie, biscuits, or anything in less than few seconds to several minutes. I wouldn't do my job more efficient and productive every day.
Only a few chefs rely on their knife skills and their speed because they have been prepping fruits, vegetables, meat and other food items for a long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.