Anyone tried Cinder Grill?

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by cook.eat.live, Mar 28, 2019.

1. cook.eat.live

cook.eat.live

Exp:
    Molecular Gastronomist
    Seems pretty cool that you can walk away and it tells you when it's done. But the reviews seem mixed. Anyone used it yet?

2. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would personally never buy or use that thing. It's not really a "grill" but a electric skillet/panini press with a timer. Part of the fun of grilling is actually doing it and watching over your food. I don't see how this machine can cook something "perfect" each time with so many outside factors to consider. (Cut of food, temperature of food when cooked, doneness level preference, ect.)

I am a little biased though, I hate gimmicky stuff and prefer traditional methods for a lot of things.

sgsvirgil likes this.
  3. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    I think the best way to measure the doneness of food on a grill is by the glass of wine (or beer). Until they can perfect a system that's just as fun, I think I'm with @Seoul Food on this one.

1/2 glass = rare
    1 glass = medium rare
    1.5 glasses = medium
    2 glasses = medium well
    3 glasses = you're plowed and it doesn't really matter anymore. :) lol

Seoul Food and ChefBryan like this.
  4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The luddite in me resists the idea. Cooking and eating both have the potential to be very sensory stimulating, highly interactive experiences. That is part of their beauty to me. Cinder grill seems to be a step towards virtual reality cooking. The same thing as cooking...only different!!!

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  6. cook.eat.live

cook.eat.live

Exp:
    Molecular Gastronomist
    Some of these recipe's do look pretty yummy though

And I agree @cheflayne, I prefer to cook rather than be cooked for. But it could be nice to be able to focus on other dishes while meat is taken care of without much thought.

7. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Generally most chefs can do that without some electric cooker.