Chef Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
I applied for a job of Sous Chef with a college unit of Bon Appetit which as you know is a division of Compass Group. I am a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America holding 40 years of FoH and BoH managerial experience in my hand when I walked into my interview with the Exec Chef. I had just missed the position as he had hired another person the day before. I needed a job....bad....so I took a cook position on the Global line. Took a huge hit in my pocket but I had to do what was necessary to take care of my responsibilities.

I have now been there going on three months and will take the cook test today....which I have taken before in another unit when I was being considered for a cook position.

What I am getting at here is that, I did what I had to do in order to get my foot in the door since my continually trying to get into a Sous Chef, Chef, Executive Chef position in this company was going no where. Now.....well.....I am just really annoyed with the idea that at this juncture of my career I am still having to prove myself especially in a company that alleges that it is all about high quality and standards and yet this is the step I have to take to prove that I am better than a cook. I am not saying that I am better than anyone else but what I am saying is that when someone comes in with a resume such as mine, I should be filtered into another unit that has a need. I am willing to relocate and have done so most of my career in order to advance my career. I have been a Chef Instructor and have staged whenever I had to in order to get a position.

I just don't understand how one is supposed to get ahead if you are not even looked at by eyes other than some HR people who for the most part use an algorithm to address all of the resumes that they receive.

Compass Group is International. I worked for Morrison and Eurest in California. I hold Morrison in very high regard on training and support from all levels of management. My experience with Eurest was the direct opposite, so poor that I still have nightmares about them.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.