Anyone have a recipe for white chocolate?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by mbcakes, Apr 9, 2002.

1. mbcakes

mbcakes

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'd like to make my own white chocolate but can't seem to find a recipe anywhere. If you have a recipe, tested or not, I'd love to give it a try. Thanks

2. shawtycat

shawtycat

Im not sure exactly what you mean but Ill give it a whack.

If you mean "white chocolate" as the opposite of dark/semisweet chocolate then.....

White Chocolate is not really chocolate since it doesn't have cocoa paste. White chocolate is a mix of 20% cocoa butter and 55% sugar. Any other ingredients that would be added to this mix would be milk solids and fats, flavorings and stabilizers.

If you wanna make white chocolate candy then....

Make sure to use a low temp when you are melting and here is the recipe for White Modeling Chocolate.

White Modeling Chocolate (1 pound, 14 ounces)

1 1/2 ounces cocoa butter (40g)
    1 pound, 2 ounces white chocolate (510g)
    5 ounces glucose or 44% light corn syrup (140g)
    1/2 cup Simple Syrup (120ml)

1. Cut cocoa butter and white choclate into small pieces. Place in a bowl and set over simmering water. Heat, stirring constantly, just until melted. Do not overheat.

2. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the glucose (or corn syrup) and Simple Syrup. Continue mixing until smooth.

3. Cover and let the mixtuer rest overnight to set up.

4. Work mixture into a smooth paste by forcing it against the table with the back of a knife and/or using the warmth of your hands. If you are working with a substantial amout, using a small, manual pasta machine works great. If the chocolate is too soft to work with after resting overnight, leave it to set further (dry) until the next day. This is usually all it takes. If you cannot wait and must use the chocolate right away, add more melted chocolate to correct the consistency.

5. Store the chocolate paste tightly covered in a cool place. It will keep for several weeks, but as it becomes older it will become harder and will require a little extra effort to soften.

Hope this helps you out. :)

Jodi

3. mbcakes

mbcakes

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I actually want to make my own white choc(opp of dark choc). I'll give your ingredient ratio a whirl!

4. shawtycat

shawtycat

Oh in that case. Here is a more concise ratio:

15% milk solids (3 - 4% should be milk fat)
    A minimum of 20% cocoa butter
    A maximum of 55% sugar

Jodi