Anyone get their CSC?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by Amber Roberts, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Amber Roberts

Amber Roberts

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Hello All,

2. Amber Roberts

Amber Roberts

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Im not sure what happened, the thread posted before I finished typing. I'm working on my CSC and I feel a little lost. Does anyone know of any "prep" material out there aside from the $50 practice tests that are only aviable for 30 days? Also, any tips for the practical exam? This will be my first ACF cert, so I'm not sure what to expect and I'm afraid I'll underestimate the difficulty (or over think it). Thanks

3. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hi Amber,

I can only say that if you know how to cook, know about sanitation, you will do just fine.

Follow the rules in the CSC candidate handbook. Make sure to address all 29 skills in the four domains. They won't want to hear "I didn't want to use a thicker or slurry". It will just be a deduction for not demonstrating skill #14...

There are over 20,000 hits on youtube for ACF Exam videos and there are actually complete menus posted on-line also.

Maybe someone that has done the CSC testing will come along with better advice!

You'll do fine! Good luck and have fun!

4. carltonb

carltonb

Exp:
    CEPC CCE
    As a Practical Exam Evaluator I agree with SGMChef.
    I personally tell the candidates to first take the written test. The test is good for two years.
    Then practice for the practical. Look at the online material, possibly find a mentor.
    Also remember you are only being evaluated on your skills at the level you are taking the exam for. You are also not being compared to anyone else.
    Take the exam it is well worth it. BTW, the practical exam is good for one year.

Best of luck.

5. LizB

LizB

Exp:
    Hi chefs,
    I'm a new joiner,can I asked what's the meaning of CSC?

6. carltonb

carltonb

Exp:
    CEPC CCE
    LizB likes this.
  7. dectra

dectra

Exp:
    Home Cook

May not help, but Michael Rhuleman did a book some time back about the Certified Master Chef designation, and those who were trying to pass it; found their insights to be awesome.

Title is The Soul Of A Chef: The Journey Towards Perfection. Noticed that the six or so folks who were trying to pass it when he was there used a lot of knowledge and recipies gleaned from Escoffier's book. Apparently knife skills killed one or two folks, cutting things not uniformly.

8. LizB

LizB

Exp:
    Thank U Chef for the reply,how long does it takes to write the CSC test expecially when one is not staying in the country and what are the requirements?

9. carltonb

carltonb

Exp:
    CEPC CCE
    These are the basic requirements

Education Requirements:
    One of the following:

High School Diploma/GED
    150 Continuing Education Hours (CEH)
    ACFEF Culinary Arts Program Certificate
    Associate's Degree in Culinary Arts
    ACFEF Apprenticeship Program
    Mandatory Course Requirement: Three 30 hour courses in each of the following: Nutrition, Food Safety & Sanitation and Supervisory Management. Courses completed more than five years ago, also require an eight hour refresher in each topic. Courses are available through ACF approved providers or any academic institution. Mandatory courses count toward CEH education requirement.

Work experience Requirement: Five years entry level culinary experience. Four years entry level experience is required of candidates with a one year ACFEF Culinary Arts Program Certificate or three years with an Associate’s Degree in Culinary Arts. Experience must be within the past ten years.

Exam Requirement: Successful completion of written and practical exams.

Practical exams are done by ACF approved evaluators and have a specific criteria of cooking components, and is approximatel 2 hours in time, and the written exam is provided on line by a testing company. The online exam is a 100 question timed test.

If you are not in the country please tell me where you are located and I can contact some Chef's to see what can be done for you.

10. LizB

LizB

Exp:
    Hello Chef,thank U for the reply,really appreciated.i resides in Dubai, UAE.i have been in the profession for over 5years.i really want to grow with it. I am so glad I found a site like this,that can be of help.