anyone experience modem problems with

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by markdchef, Jul 10, 2001.

1. markdchef

markdchef

[email protected] and Macintosh pc?

The techs at comcast don't seem to understand Apple products and they take weeks to send someone out.

any input would be appreciated. I am new to the Mac.

2. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    markdchef ,

Exactly what type of problems are you having?

Did your service provider provide the modem you are using? If no, then they are not responsible for tech support for your modem.

You said "Macintosh PC". If you are using a Macintosh, then you are using a "Macintosh" not a "Macintosh PC" (Macintosh personal computer should be understood) which can often be mis-understood which is why people say they are either on a "Mac" or a "PC".

Have you tried looking up info on the parent company of the modem manufacturer?

If you are considering using a Mac friendly service provider, Earthlink has the highest customer satisfaction in that area.

The more details you can provide, the better we can help.

:)

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: cchiu ]

3. markdchef

markdchef

mac personal computer (thus the "pc") Power Mac G4 with [email protected] provided Motorola cable modem SB3100. The account at first was not set up, then when it was set up the ip was stolen, then the idiot at comcast said the problem was with the Mac, then they said it should be up and running by last Saturday. Now they say they need to send one of their techs next week. I think they do not understand Macs or for that matter their own service. Apple said to get the specifics from Comcast.

Since it is my first Mac I can not figure if there is any problem on my end at all.

4. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    markdchef,

To answer your question regarding experiences with [email protected], you'll find plenty of opinions here. There is a chance that in some of those messages, you might find some answers to your questions or be able to email someone directly who had similar problems.

From the looks of it, their service is great in some areas and not so great in others. It takes just a few people who don't know what they're doing to ruin it for everyone else.

Unfortunately for us, this means we have to choose which is the better of the worse.

It's certainly not your fault the IP was stolen if they didn't set it up correctly in the first place.

Have you tried any online customer support? They should provide a step by step FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) page for their customers.

Look here for reviews of other Cable ISP's.

I'm not sure it will help, but another resource for you is the
    COAX: The Cable Modem User Online Resource

Or you could look for web sites with possible info regarding the
    SB3100, the Macintosh, & troubleshooting.

Here is an article regarding one person's saga with comcast.

There is reference to comcast's proxy here.

As uniform as set up should be, it's still customized to the provider which makes it difficult to troublshoot without someone who knows exactly how their end is set up. Sometimes their competitors seem to tell you more about the company than the company itself!

Have a little patience. Browse the sites above. Even though it's a hassle, you can always switch carriers if you have to but once it's working, you'll be home free.

In the meantime you can arm yourself with as much information as you can find.

You can always browse a bookstore, see if you can thumb thru a Macintosh Bible or similar reference book with information on cable modems.

You could try posting your questions at places like AskMe.com under the category: Home > Technology & the Web > Computer Networks > Online Services & ISPs

Or try posting your question at cable modem troublshooting forums or newspapers like The Washington Post

I hope this helps a little.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: cchiu ]

5. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I was once a [email protected] customer in NJ. It took some severe growing pains, as their tech support is awful, but eventually I was up running and happy. Cable Internet access has a whole special set of possible problems. The coax cable itself, the modem and lets not forget the network itself. When you use cable internet access you are logging on to a network, like in an office. Your connection will only be as good as the network. I would think that the Mac issue is a Red Herring. Unfortuneatly, you don't typically get a choice of providers. In most areas there is only one cable provider. That said, if it's their modem it is their support issue (and sadly yours too). It will be easier to get to the bottom if you have specific error messages and can describe what you are doing when the modem/connection fails. I would be happy to help you trouble shoot. Send me as many details as you can, either here or via email.

Kyle

6. bouland

bouland

You shouldn't need a special driver with the Mac for the Linksys modem. It's usually just a matter of setting your TCP/IP control panel properly. You may need to diable the remote access control panels and extensions, but I haven't found this to be a porblem on my G3 system. The other issue will be if you have a fixed IP Address or one that is issued when you connect, in which case you'll need some PPPoE software. Go through the archives at MacFixIt to see if someone has solved a similar problem.

bouland

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: bouland ]

7. markdchef

markdchef

Apparently the equipment I was sent by Comcast is not compatible with mac. The ethernet/usb adapter by linksys does not have a driver for MAC OS only windows. Comcast is sending me a new modem, hopefully not the same one SB3100 by Motorola.

8. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Glad to see a Mac expert step up. I was going to have to grope around in my PC darkness :)