Anyone ever use a 140 quart Hobart mixer? Trying to decide on 80qt vs. 140qt - Thanks!

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by jonfields, Feb 18, 2017.

1. jonfields

jonfields

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I'm trying to decide between the 80 quart and 140 quart mixer for making falafel. I'm moving kitchens and am replacing the equipment. previously, I would do 1.5-2 batches in the 80 quarts so I figured the 140 quart would be a better fit.

However, I'm worried about the size of the 140 quart bowls - will they be too cumbersome to clean and maneuver that it's not worth doing it all in 1 batch? Also, is 5 horsepower in the 140 quart mixer too strong to the point that it pulverizes everything (3HP on the 80 quart).

Anyone able to share thoughts? Thanks so much everyone! You guys and gals are awesome here!

2. seabeecook

seabeecook

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I used the 140-quart mixer when I worked in California prisons and in the bakery at NAS Lemoore. I don't remember a lot of specifics about the machines now (this was in the 70s and 80s), but the bowl is heavy. The best way to transport a loaded bowl is on a dolly or truck.

3. seabeecook

seabeecook

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Here's the response from a chef friend on Facebook: "140 qt are very cumbersome to get the bowls around, clean, scrape the bowl, transport, dump, etc.. Unless you need many batches/day in a 140, I'd definitely prefer 80. Regarding falafel, I prefer a more continuous method of mixing instead, that being pushing it through a meat grinder."

4. jonfields

jonfields

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Wow thanks so much for your response and for also asking your chef friend! Do you think it would make sense to get a 140 quart machine, but only put an 80 quart bowl in there for now? And then when it comes time that I need a larger bowl, I already have the machine for it instead of going out to get another one. Wondering if the 140 stand is too powerful for certain foods compared to an 80 quart stand as well.