Chef Forum banner

Anyone ever hear of a Gold Seal Chef?

15K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  phaedrus 
#1 ·
I have started a new job and a fellow new employee has claimed she has a Gold Seal. In Canada we have Red Seal certification, which is interprovincial and Blue Seal which is provincial but I am having a hard time finding anything on a Gold Seal.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

#4 ·
I think she's pulling your leg.

Unless I'm reading the Canadian Government's web page wrong, there are 5 certifications for chefs in Canada: Blue Seal, Red Seal, Certified Working Chef (CWC), Certified Chef de Cuisine (CCC) and Certified Master Chef (CMC). From what I can tell, the Red and Blue Seal certification process is separate and apart from the other three and is required in order to be CDC and CMC certified.

The only Gold Seal certification that I can find deals with heavy construction.

#5 ·
In Nova Scotia and maybe other provinces the gold seal allowed you to work in the province as a journeyman.It was the same exam as the red seal but you only needed 60% to pass.No one took it seriously and as far as I know it hasn’t existed in thirty years.

#7 ·
No, but when I was young lots of chefs took "Golden Seal".;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.