anyone done this one before ?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by coolj, Apr 11, 2002.

1. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    For my breakfast special this morning (04-10-02) I ran what I am calling Eggs Monte Carlo, which is scrambled eggs topped with shaved ham and melted swiss cheese, served with hash browns and toast. So I was just wondering if any of you have run this on your menu at all, and also what you think of this one.

2. kimmie

kimmie

Funny that you mention that CoolJ. I do something like that once in a while (in my home kitchen, of course!). Where does the «Monte Carlo» come from?

BTW, what kind of ham do you use? I love Forêt Noire. :lips:

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    "Monte Carlo" makes it sound really elegant. But the way you describe it, makes me think of a "Monte Cristo" sandwich -- similar to a croque monsieur, but made like french toast or pain perdu: ham or chicken and cheese, dipped in egg and fried.

So what? From now on, whenever you serve it again it will be Monte Carlo, 'cause that's what your customers will remember. It sounds delicious, and a great way to use up end bits of ham. I hope it sold well!

4. marzoli

marzoli

That sounds really good! I'd like to try it at home.
    A question, coolj: do you grate your own potatoes for hash browns? and if so, which is the best type of potato for this?
    I tried it using baking potatoes, and it was pretty good, but I thought the texture could have been better.
    I put onions in mine.

5. kimmie

kimmie

Pending CoolJ's answer, I like Yukon gold. I put roasted onions and garlic in mine. :p

6. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thank you for your replies. Kimmie, I just used toupie ham, and the Monte Carlo comes from the fact that I borrowed the name from the sandwich. Yes Suzanne, I guess I will call it by the same name if I run it again, and from what I heard it did sell really well, see I don't work the breakfast shift, I'm a graveyard cook. Marzoli, we just use the deep fried breakfast cubes at work, but at home I use russet potatos.

7. kimmie

kimmie

Thanks, CoolJ.