Anybody got a fool proof homemade ricotta recipe?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by foodslinger, Feb 6, 2015.

1. foodslinger

foodslinger

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As I understand it, Ricotta is supposed to be easy to make...milk, heavy cream, acid, salt...heat and presto chango...Ricotta! I've tried it 4 times now with different recipes and the best I can get is a few little tiny curds...I need something that's going to yield me a decent amount. Any help would be appreciated!

2. yeller

yeller

Exp:
    Other
    I have tried it a couple of times, I don't worry so much about curd size as the moisture content is where I tried different hang times.

3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  4. Joseph Pero

Joseph Pero

Exp:
    Home baker
    I have just ordered a kit. This recipe comes from Rosetta Costantino's "Sicilian Desserts". It looks to be an excellent recipe.
    RICOTTA FRESCA

Makes about 2 lbs. (900 G)

Supplies needed: two 2 ½ cup ricotta draining baskets or one 6 cup fine mesh strainer, Instant thermometer

1-gallon milk (4L) ¾ cup (180ml) heavy cream

2 tsp kosher salt ½ tsp liquid vegetable rennet

¼ cup (60ml) cold water (for diluting the rennet)

Stir together milk and cream in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Continue heating till milk foams and rises up in the pot. The milk should register 200 F to 210F (95C -100 C) on an instant read thermometer.

Carefully transfer milk to a second large pot, leaving behind any bits of scorched milk at the bottom.

(If you’ve been very careful to avoid scorching, you can skip this step) Stir in the salt to dissolve it.

Let the milk cool until it registers 100F (38C) in about 1 hour, or place pot in the sink with ice water to cool more quickly., stirring occasionally to keep temperature even, and take care not to slosh any water into the milk. As the milk cools, skim off any foam or skin that forms on top. Remove the milk from the ice bath as soon as the temperature reaches 100F (38C)

In a small bowl, combine rennet with cold water. Stir dilute rennet into milk and let it stand without stirring until the milk visibly thickens, about 10 minutes.

Stir the milk quickly with a wooden spoon to break up the coagulated milk, about 20 seconds. Switch to a metal skimmer and stir slowly in one direction, taking about20 seconds to make one complete turn. (else you’ll form small curds) As you stir you will begin to see the milk separate into pillowy curds and thin, yellow hued whey. Continue to stir slowly and gently, coaxing the curds toward the center of the pot, until you have a collection of curds in a sea of whey, about 5 minutes.

If using ricotta draining baskets, set them in shallow plastic containers or on a tray to drain.

Carefully pour the whey through a colander lined with cheesecloth to catch any small curds, gently holding back the curds with the skimmer. Use a wood spoon to gently transfer ricotta to the baskets or strainer.

Let the ricotta stand at room temperature until whey no longer drips from baskets or strainer, about 2 hours, discarding the whey periodically. Transfer the ricotta from the strainer to an airtight container for storage: nestle the baskets of ricotta snugly in a container or pan to catch any additional whey that drips out, covering tightly with a lid or plastic wrap. Use the ricotta immediately, or refrigerate for up to three days.

To serve ricotta held in baskets, invert the basket onto a plate. To use ricotta in recipes, scoop it up from the basket or container as needed. Excess ricotta can be frozen. (atza naiza)

ENJOY