Anybody deal w/an overly 'hands-on' boss?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by jim berman, Mar 29, 2000.

1. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Does anybody deal with a boss or client that has an excessive amount of involvement in day-to-day operations? Or other people in the operation that think they are your boss(es)? I know this is subjective. And I understand when you work for somebody, they are allowed to do as they wish. However, often I feel that an employee is put into place to do whatever the job requires and to live up to the expectations set before them. I guess it boils down to "let me do the best job I know how" versus being "on trial".
    Am I right to question this or just venting?

2. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Bobzaguy... In fact this is the same person that the meal (see Intermezzo Service) was done for.
    I think the responses, especially from Carol W., are very poignant. I guess the way I have always operated has been to 1. sell myself to a potential employer 2. once hired, bust my tail proving what I sold 3. continue to grow (and grow the business) as I see fit as a professional. With that in mind, I too hope to be an owner/operator one day, and would cherish having my name on the door. That said, I would hope that I would be intelligent & seasoned enough to hire the right people. I would hope that the guidance I give them would be ample for them perform as I demand, hence, to not tarnish the name on the door.
    So, I take from reading the posts, that there must be a happy medium. Agree?