any superb recipe for chicken gravy???

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by paidon, Sep 16, 2005.

1. paidon

paidon

hi.im kinda new in the cooking business.so is there any excellento chicken gravy recipies? :smiles:

2. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Presumably you are having chicken with your chicken gravy :lips:

So how are you preparing the chicken? Roasting? Pan seared? Or what?

It helps to know that in answering your question.

Jock

3. paidon

paidon

the chicken is roasted

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You could use the drippings in the pan to make a roux- put the flour in the pan, combine it with the fat and let it cook for a minute or two. Then add stock or milk- depends on what you're after. Stir and scrape the roasted bits (fond) off the bottom of the pan. Taste, season with salt and pepper.

Using milk would give you a more country-style gravy; be sure not to let it boil too high if you use milk. Using stock would give you a sauce-like character. You need about 2 tablespoons of flour per cup of liquid.

Don't start with boullion granules! You'll get a salty slurry that isn't worth eating. Use that tasty fond instead.

5. markv

markv

On a slightly different spin than Mezzaluna, I would measure the flour based on how much drippings are left in the pan. A standard roux has equal parts fat and flour. After matching the drippings with an equal amount of flour and making the roux, I would then add the liquid till I reached the consistency I desired. I can't give you a liquid amount because I don't know how much roux you'll have or how thick you want the final gravy. This is one of those "eyeball" measures.

Mark

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Good point, MarkV. I'm a home cook, and when you say "roast chicken", I see my roasting pan and figure the measurements purely by sight. You make a good point, because that could make a real difference.

7. markv

markv

As long as there's not a big difference between the fat and the flour you should be OK.

8. paidon

paidon

i think i have enough now.thank u 2 all