Chef Forum banner

Any suggestions for old frying oil?

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  dylanm 
#1 ·
I know about reusing frying oil, but once it's been used several times and I've fried fish in it, it's done.

I'm wondering, though, if there are any clever DIY sorts of uses for it. Maybe outside the kitchen? Just wondering.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
But of course, ditch the oil in an oil trap, and the Recycling service will pick it up on a weekly basis. Or maybe you can call them in your community or city. They would recycle the oil and put it to good use like making soap, biodiesel for trains and cars (engines can run it), and make other sustainable uses.

#12 ·
I use up a cup or two a year starting charcoal, a tablespoon or two goes one the newspaper in the bottom of the charcoal starting chimney. But most people generate a lot more used oil than a cup or two a year.

mjb.

#13 ·
I guy I worked with had an old (earlier '70's) Mercedes diesel. He would pour strained/filtered oil right into the gas tank. Car ran great ... if you didn't mind the french-fry/fried-chx smell.

#15 ·
Firstly, do not throw your unused cooking oil in the trash. Secondly, yes, you can use your unused cooking oil for many functions. Grease has many benefits, which include both protecting the environment and providing clean, alternative energy for both personal and professional uses.

One manner that grease can be used is providing high quality feed for animals. In this scenario, grease decreases the production time for animal feed and allows farmers to control their respective operating costs. In addition, you do not need to collect the unused cooking oil yourself. By using a third party for grease collection, you decrease your chances of yourself being burnt or slipping from performing the respective operation. Also, you are able to focus on the most important aspect of your business(if you own one), which is making sure that it is performing to its maximum efficiency. However, make sure you are collecting the grease indoors. Two reasons for collecting grease indoors are that it does not become contaminated, or stolen. Thieves have discovered that grease is a valuable commodity. Therefore, it is important to know that grease is one of your most valuable assets and that it can be used to help our society in many ways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.