Any ideas for rye?

Joined Aug 11, 2000
I have this great Minnonite farmer coming to the market with organic rye flour and rye berries. The demo chef made rye yeast pancakes (wonderful!!!) do you guys have any other recipes out of the norm or even norm for rye.....mixed group of either beginning cooks or pros. Thanks

Joined May 29, 1999
You can use rye in place of ww flour. the berries would be a nice addition to crackers.
How about sour rye biscuts or bilini.

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Cool topic! I'd like to know more about rye flour....and the more obscure flours as well.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
well Dave Owens made a yeast rye pancake sorta like a bilini...he did not fold in stiff whites. SOOOOO soften the rye berries and coarsely chop to add to crackers? I've had weird results with wheat berries getting obnoxiously crunchy (little rocks) when they've been added to dough adn end up on the outside of the crust....does that make sense? Rye in biscuits...oooooo think small cocktail biscuits with ham and coarse mustard
maybe open face with a sweet sour cranberry or other fruit chutney/pickle/whatever. Cool holiday idea. Thanks.
HMMMMM Julia Child adds alittle to her gingerbread recipe.
I make a wonderful multi seed multigrain bread with milk, molassses, butter, honey, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, rye, whole wheat and bread flour....
This farmer also has amaranth.....weird grain
I've got a blue cornmeal and white cornmeal coming in this week...crepes will be the demo
maybe polenta with trout mousse piped on, the chef is French and they don't eat corn....go figure.

Joined Aug 12, 2000
I made a hot roll recipe once that used about 1/2 rye flour (plus butter, egg, and milk, the usual). It had a really nice fragrant rye flavor.
licklips.gif

Joined May 29, 1999
Blue corn Biscotti with Pecans.
Blue corn Empanadas.
Blue corn Frangipan cakes.
Rye flour and molasses ginger snaps.
Rye flour and Durum Wheat Pasta.
Rye Berries boiled and seasoned with roasted veg.
Rye Berries Steamed and added to steal cut oats.
Good Morning.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Good morning~
Rye pasta.....the ideas are not coming to me yet....what do you serve this with?

Blue corn instead of polenta in all those applications....what grind? My brother has a stone grinder and we have 15# coming in for demo and blue corn madelines for Farmer~Chef dinner on the 15th.

I like Kashi for breakfast Been awhile but I think there maybe rye in the combo.

Thanks

Joined Aug 11, 2000
M~ maybe in spatzel form....what do you think would they hold together?
Get that tang with a vinegar redux....like German potato salad...parsley, onions, bacon, and vinegar....maybe not...hmmmmm
Maybe sourkraut with browned butter and the rye noodles...
HMMMMM....food for thought.

Top Bottom