Any ideas for Leftover veggies?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefzack, Apr 9, 2013.

1. chefzack

chefzack

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We get in some crappy frozen veggies. We use them for banquets, i personally hate it, but i'm not in charge. So anyhow, the veggies in question are Capri blend (http://www.senecafoods.com/Foodservice/FS_ProductResp.cfm?BriteCode=15731&CommodityID=FSCom02) These things suck and they always turn to mush so you cant really reuse them for anything at all. I've been boggling my mind trying to think of some things i could use these for.

Some things i have come up with would be to use them for a veggie stock, which we have no use for, puree them and make some variation of a zucchini bread, or use them for soup; which i also hate because then the soup looks like vomit after it sat around all day.

So if anyone could help me i would greatly appreciate it. I'm just trying to save us a little money and come up with something cool at the same time. Thanks everyone.

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That's strange, I love frozen veggies and I always keep frozen peas and frozen corn on hand.  My toddler loves all frozen veggies and has a particular love of green beans which I also keep on hand.  They're all organic though, I've never bought Libby's.

I use them in pot pies, soups, stir fries, fried rice, even toss them in mashed potatoes.  I cook a cup of peas almost on a daily basis for my lunch salads.  Can you pickle them?

3. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Vegetable croquettes, quiche, omelettes, soups  100s of ways

4. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Escabeche?

5. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I’m trying to wrap my head around this… if you are so adverse to this type/brand of frozen vegetable, why do you buy it?

Quote: Packed with a selection of cut green beans, sliced carrots, quartered zucchini and squash

These veggies are available fresh pretty much year round, well, were we are in the Western United States.  Though, I only cook at home, not in a pro kitchen.

I’m with Miss KK as well, I use lots of different frozen veg and fruits/berries.  I have to say, our house is not a fan of frozen zucc or yellow squash. 

6. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    He didn't buy them, he just gets to use them. If not too labor intensive, I would separate them and puree (although you can always just puree them together). From there you can make them into a terrine, sauce, or soup. There are a lot more "out of the box" uses, but I don't think that they would fly in your situation.

7. chefzack

chefzack

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks everyone I'll see what i can do with this.

8. kccjer

kccjer

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Not sure why they would turn so mushy on you.  I abhor canned veggies and go with frozen if I can't use fresh.  When preserving fresh veggies, I almost always turn to freezing and never have that problem.  My suggestion would be stew.  My grandmother cleaned out her fridge once a week....everything went into the stew pot.  I've used a mix similar to that in stew before.  Add some tomatoes, potatoes, onion and garlic with some beef and broth.....  Or a pot pie??

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  9. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would use them in an egg white frittata, or ratatouille.