Any good meat cleaver which does not need sharpening?

Joined Nov 10, 2014
Hello, I have 2 meat cleavers, one is lighter and the other is heavy, I am sick and tired of having to sharpen them every single time after simply cutting up a chicken and to sharpen it first of all is another ordeal by itself. A could days ago I showed it to my neighbor who does construction and he said it's because it's not tempered steel.

He said he had purchased a machete which his wife uses which cuts through turkey and chicken bones with ease and never needs sharpening. I now have arthritis in both hands so I need something like what he has, the weight does not bother me that much so I don;t really need a light cleaver. I mostly need one that I can use time and time again to cut chicken, turkey and pork slabs, not the thick pork shoulder bone and not have to sharpen it.

I don't want a machete otherwise I would have bought the one my neighbor has, I want a meat cleaver, can anyone link me to a really good one for my purpose which I might find at local stores like home depot, Ace hardware e.t.c or preferable online please? Thank you.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Why not? Although that may have sounded like a smart-aleck remark... it was intended to be a valid suggestion.

If you have arthritis and don't want to be sharpening knives it might actually work quite good for you.

Joined Nov 10, 2014
Why not? Although that may have sounded like a smart-aleck remark.

No, I didn't think so at all. It's a good option [thanks] but just not for me, I simply won;t be comfortable with it, don't know what else to say.

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Aranyik cleaver. I use it for tough things. Lemongrass, lobster splitting, chicken backs etc. Easy to sharpen, stays sharp
Home use maybe 3 sharpenings a year. 25-30 degrees a side and a 40 degree microbevel.

$35-40 shipped on ebay. Look for the one with a pointy tip.

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Aranyik cleaver. I use it for tough things. Lemongrass, lobster splitting, chicken backs etc. Easy to sharpen, stays sharp
Home use maybe 3 sharpenings a year. 25-30 degrees a side and a 40 degree microbevel.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
No, I didn't think so at all. It's a good option [thanks] but just not for me, I simply won;t be comfortable with it, don't know what else to say.

Here is what I have. Dexter Chinese Cleaver. It doesn't sharpen to a blazingly sharp blade but is sharp enough for cooking purposes, is good for all but bone breaking, and stays sharp a reasonably long period of time.

I don't have arthritis in the wrist/hands yet but do have a bit of carpal tunnel syndrome. I find the handle to be almost tolerable.

https://www.centralrestaurant.com/C...MIt-u94MKl1gIV3rXACh2WHg45EAQYASABEgIoHfD_BwE

Joined Nov 10, 2014

The 2 reviews on this is good [thanks], only thing that worries me is the material looks exactly the same as mine. On saturday I plan to go to the store where my neighbor bought the machete, will take mine and will ask the guy there what the deal is since that is his specialty, will report back here.

Joined Nov 10, 2014
That's the same exact chopper I have and is why I intend on taking it to the guy in the store to find out why with such good ratings I am having these problems with it? chopper.jpg

Cdp

Joined Aug 31, 2017
hhmmm odd.

I used 1 at my old work and yeah never had a problem with it but it was sharpened on an odd angle but due it chopping rather than slicing it did an excellent job on porks and a breeze on chook

Joined Nov 10, 2014
If it wasn't for the fact that 2 of my friends who do construction tried to sharpen this thing and none of them could get it to sharpen really good even after trying for close to 30 minutes then I would say ok it's my fault.

Joined Nov 10, 2014
This is the machete my neighbor is referring to, doesn't look like a typical machete to me, more looks like a cross between a chopper and machete?
machete.jpg machete2.jpg

Joined Nov 20, 2016
Buy a Winco Cleaver. I use it even to chop wood. they are like up to $25-35 and cheaper

Joined Apr 25, 2014
How did they sharpen it? belt sander can overheat the edge if you are not careful. That would wreck the heat treatment and you are left with a soft unsharpenable steel.

Or as you say it was never heat treated and hardened in the first place. Rare, but mistakes happen.

Joined Aug 23, 2017
Horribly cheap for a professional tool.

I sharpen mine with a steel, though very occasionally use a grindstone if it's badly blunted.

Joined Nov 10, 2014
Horribly cheap for a professional tool.

Are you referring to the Spevorix above? If so, it's only the price being too cheap that's the issue? I am going by the 67 mainly 5 stars reviews with only one low review that it is too heavy which is not my concern.

Latest posts

Top Bottom