Any Career Advice for a New Line Cook?

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by CaptinCook, May 23, 2019.

1. CaptinCook

CaptinCook

Exp:
    1 year as a Line Cook
    So, I started at this Country Club as a dishwasher and worked for 3 months. Then I asked and replaced the pantry cook (who quit), and have worked the cold line for about 8 months. I usually work the lunch and dinner shift, and have progressed form amateur home-cook to working action-stations and serving up to 200-250 people in pantry by myself. Although I work the pantry, I worked a lot of hours during season (65-70), everyone seems to likes me, I seem to have learnt everything on the cold side, and it hasn't become challenging anymore. The Club has a full hot line, which I think will all stay for quite some time. So, my question is should I stay and wait it out, or look for new work (challenge)? Thanks.

phaedrus likes this.
  2. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Since you're already there talk to the Chef about moving around to other stations. You don't want to job hop too much but you also shouldn't be afraid to move around a bit when you're young to gain experience.

Welcome to CT!

Seoul Food likes this.
  3. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree with phaedrus. If you can, cross train on the hot line, even if it is under the premise of being able to cover a call in or day off for one of the line cooks. Cross training will give you a glimpse of being a line cook and see if you can do the work or want to do the work. I don't think just leaving this place because there is currently no openings in the next tier of positions is a good idea. They have taken the time and chance to move you up and you never know when someone is going to quit or get fired and if they do you will be there and ready. Good luck.