Anthony Bourdain

Discussion in 'Cookbook Reviews' started by anneke, Jul 31, 2001.

1. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Has anyone picked up the latest issue of Gourmet magazine? There's an article about Anthony Bourdain's new project for Food Network and new book. What's your opinion?

(He's kind of cute with his cowboy hat!! ;))

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Anneke ]

2. kimmie

kimmie

Thanks Anneke.

I'll pick-up a copy today.

:cool:

3. linda smith

linda smith

My husband was reading it this morning. He says there is talk of making the book into a movie???

4. isa

isa

Emeril's on TV and Bourdain's into movie. Who will be left in the kitchen? :D

5. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    [​IMG] Good one Iza!

6. kimmie

kimmie

Iza,

Good question...um..Ken & Barbie!!?

:eek:

7. isa

isa

In that case Kimmie be happy you don't have the Food Network!! :rolleyes:

8. kimmie

kimmie

Absolutely, Iza!

[​IMG]

9. davewarne

davewarne

HI,

For those who may be interested....
    There is a pile of Kitchen Confidential sitting in Galloway and Porter ( the Cambridge U.K. bookshop ) at the remainderd price of £2.95. They might export?

David

10. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    The movie of Kitchen Confidential will star Brad Pitt as Anthony Bourdain. A choice sure to inflate Mr. Bourdain's ego significantly. I expect that after the release, chefs nationwide will possess increased sexual cache due solely to that casting choice. According to "Backstage" the movie version's working title is "Seared".
    This could be a rare case of the film being better than the book.

11. thebighat

thebighat

I enjoyed the book, and I swear that he stole some material that appears on the first page of the the chapter "Who Cooks?" from my web site, material which I also suspect Ruth Reichl of being free and easy with, not much material, but curious juxtapostitions of words pertaining to alike subjects.
    Anyway, my reaction to "Kitchen Confidential" is that M. Bourdain is intoxicated by the exuberance of his own verbosity, and I can't wait to see any movie made from that book. We talk about that first scene in Provincetown where the chef has the bride over the grease barrel by the dumpster at work constantly.

12. qjwin

qjwin

:mad: :mad:

You are--to put it very mildly--completely mistaken. I have never laid eyes on your website--and tend to doubt Ms. Reichl has either. (Though you never know. Just last week, I caught her -middle of the night--in a slinky, all black outfit, black balaclava, crepe soled shoes and surgical gloves, messing with my hard drive. Took two shots of pepper spray to imobilize her. )Before you start casually suggesting plagiarism I suggest making yourself a tin-foil hat--this will protect your original thoughts from being co-opted by the CIA , the Trilateral Commission, Elvis Presley's Alien Baby and envious writers. I know that MY hat protects me from Michael Ruhlman who is ALWAYS trying to read my mind and appropriate my original thoughts and sparkling sentences( not to mention my Precious Bodily Fluids) for his own hideous and Unholy purposes. (What do you expect? He's a Freemason.)
    Capice?

Anthony Bourdain

13. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think that it is very important for all of us here in the cheftalk community to be very careful and sure of our facts before we post.

This is America and we can voice our opinions at will,"BUT"We should truely do our homework first.
    cc

14. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I hope the movie is as entertaining as the book.

15. thebighat

thebighat

Get over it. I said there was a juxtapostion of words pertaining to the same subject, and Reichl used a very similar phrase. Apparently it was a coincidence. Anybody who knew what the job was about might use the phrase "economy of motion" or a very similar phrase to describe one of the work habits of a saute cook. And you don't know, I'll bet, in the strictest logical use of the word, if you have seen my web site. I just happened to use it in a copyrighted work way before you did.

16. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Any chef worth his/her salt will share several experiences with Mr. Bouradain. I, for one, would love to have the opportunity for the rest of the world to see what really happens in the kitchen. What better way than on the big screen? Let's face it, Kitchen Confidential is a book anyone of us would have loved to write. Good for Mr. Bouradain for beating us to it and doing it **** well.

17. qjwin

qjwin

Sounds fair to me.

18. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    THB: where's your websight? Now I'm really curious; it must be something else.....

19. thebighat

thebighat

Here's a link to the text in question....click here

This is the problem with written communications..there's no inflection. If I had SAID what I wrote, I think most of us would be able to recognize hyperbole, exaggeration and so on. But the written word gets taken exactly. Anyway, if M. Bourdain was offended, I apologize. (And Ms. Reichl) If anyone wants to take a look at the text I posted several years ago in my web site, there's the link. I took the page out of context, you can't get to the rest of the site from there, but the site is listed in any number of search engines and linked from other culinary sites. I put it up just to see if I could, it began as a joke, and pretty much remains one, but there is a lot of info there.

20. qjwin

qjwin

[QUOTE:

This is the problem with written communications..there's no inflection. If I had SAID what I wrote, I think most of us would be able to recognize hyperbole, exaggeration and so on. But the written word gets taken exactly. Anyway, if M. Bourdain was offended, I apologize.

Consider the hatchet buried, bro'...As a chronic hyperbole addict, I empathize completely with the above. Rest assured my faux-blistering response was also something less than entirely serious.
    Last thing I want to do is make less than nice with a fellow chef--especially one from the Cape. See you at the bar. I'm buying.

respects, Anthony Bourdain