Antarctica

Joined Oct 14, 2002
Kuan & others,

I have a thread going in the "Global Chef" forum answering all question on Antarctica and the adverse conditions, this is an AWESOME continent, pictures do it no justice, when you get off the plane, your imagination cannot prepare you for the sights down here, not to mention the weather. A truly life altering trip. Remember, people dont take trips---trips take people

D

PS I also have pics if you are interested.Raytheon Polar Svcs- Head Chef

Joined Jul 3, 2002
Pictures would be wonderful. did you want us to individually e-mail you (that's where your link took me) or can you post them here?
I've been fascinated with Antarctica for a long time and would love to hear more about your experiences. :D
what kinds of adjustments did you have to make as a chef and as a person living there? What are the folks you cook for like? How much do you have to make adjustments (if any) in your baking?

Joined Oct 14, 2002
Pheobe,

Well, Antarctica is a wonderfull place untouched by man, it truly changes your life. As for living conditions, there are dorms, upper class, middle, and lower. Your dorm depends on your "ice time" and your job title for housing points. Normally there are two people (of the same sex) in one room. We have a recreation dept. that takes care of us, a bar, and lounges with pool, ping pong and foosball in each dorm building, as well as Armed Forces TV beamed in by satelite, as are the comp. and phone lines. As for cooking? Well where I am now (McMurdo Station) we are on the Ross Island in the Ross Sea in southern Antarctica, the largest base in Antarctica about 1000 people. So this means we are at sea level, no adjustment necessary. But I have also been to South Pole Station which is at about 12,000ft and you need to reduce the amount of leavening agents due to the lack of atmosphere, there slogan for skiers at Pole is "Two inches of powder, two miles of base" which amazingly enough is acurate! As for other US bases, the only other one is Palmer Station on the Antarctic Peninsula which is very small 25 people and is also at sea level, closest to Chile. I hope this answers all your questions. Check out the thread at Global chefs.

D

Joined Nov 20, 2000
I saw The THING I ain't going anywhere near there!
Actually I almost got a job up there when I lived in Alaska, but it didn't work out. Too bad, what an experience that could have been!

Top Bottom