Chef Forum banner

Another What Is It?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  halb 
#1 ·
I occasionally visit a local pizza place that also serves Italian dishes. When you order chicken parm or chicken Milanese, the breaded chicken is this 8 inch round 1/4" thick perfectly round disk slapped on the plate. It's obviously processed chicken that they purchased that way. Other than being pretty shabby for those dishes, what the heck would it be used for? I've searched the usual chicken sources like Tyson and can't find anything like it.

#3 · (Edited)
Chicken patties are made a few ways. One way that I know of is what teamfat said - ground chicken pressed into a patty. It could be done in house or at the plant.

The other is the chicken is turned into a paste and then poured into mold. This is essentially the same process used to make chicken nuggets. If the pizza joint bought the patties pre-processed as patties, there is a good chance the paste and mold technique was used.

#4 ·
They have to be pre-processed, no question there. They buy them that way. Matter of fact a friend of mine mentioned another pizza place doing the same thing. The Milanese I saw, because there is nothing on it, has a line through the center where it was apparently folded in half. My question is really why would anyone make something this big and for what? This can't be the intended use. It's pretty bad if a place can't make their own breaded cutlets for these dishes. I'm betting they both deal with Sysco or another supplier that is pushing these things. I know the owner of the place I go to and I don't want to seem like I'm criticizing his food by asking him about his UFOs.

#9 ·
But why bother making it perfectly round? Using these is recent with them, probably within the last year or so. They used to butterfly a breast and pound it. It wasn't quite as large as this thing and hardly round. But I remember once when I had their chicken parm I got a piece of woody or rubber chicken. Not unexpected with those large breasts. Maybe they complained to their supplier and they said we have these things?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.