Another plea for advice on knives

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by ocdshaver, Jan 17, 2017.

1. ocdshaver

ocdshaver

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'd be more apologetic for making another request to provide input on knives but people like talking knives anyway. For starters, I've been using old school German and French knives. They are great but I'm looking for a Japanese knife that is thinner. I want the knife to be as traditionally western shaped as possible. I want it to be at or close to ten inches. And I don't want anything that is going to be a challenge to sharpen. I want a 50/50 edge since I suck at sharpening. I will entertain carbon steel but everything I own currently is stainless. In terms of price, I would prefer to keep it at or under $200. A little over is fine too. I've read that Shun knives are ok but overpriced for what they are. Amazon has the Shun classic for about $150. What options might fit my preferences and ring in at my price range?

2. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hi OCDshaver, welcome to CT. When you say 'as traditionally western shaped as possible', are you aiming for more French or more German in knife profile?

3. ocdshaver

ocdshaver

Exp:
    At home cook
    I can go either French or German since I use both. But for the sake of providing some direction, let's say French.

4. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  5. ocdshaver

ocdshaver

Exp:
    At home cook
    First, thank you for the links. Second, do you own either of thes knives?

6. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    @OCDshaver  I have the Tojiro DP which is a western handled knife with VG10 core steel - my first Japanese Knife. I do not own a Tojiro HSPS or the K-Sabatier 200 series (though it's probably the most likely series of Sabatier I'd buy due to the lack of a fingerguard to grind down) because I buy almost entirely carbon steel knives, and both lines I linked are pretty price competitive to carbon knives much more interesting to me :)

A few other western handled stainless options I was thinking about in this price range are almost definitely not ground symmetrically.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  7. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Sounds to me like you may be a prime candidate for vintage carbon steel

8. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A caution about the Tojiro powdered steel, it is thought to be R2 steel, that would mean on the chippy side.

ocdshaver likes this.
  9. bitethismike

bitethismike

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  10. sushi-nate

sushi-nate

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Try a carbon with stainless cladding or white steel. Check out chefknivestogo, to see some reasonably priced japanese steel. Shuns and Miyabi are great knives to get start in japanese profile knives. Both have good edge retention, weight, balance a good HRC (over 61). I think they're comparable in quality and price. Once you rock carbon you'll see they hold edges longer and can be sharpened to a finer edge.

11. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
  12. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I just can't bring myself to want to deal with the finger guards XD

13. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    That's why I like american vintage carbon steel- mostly bolster and fingerguard free

Of course the days of rehandling and restoring forgecrafts off ebay for $30 ended 2 years ago.  They go for $100+ now!

14. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yes they are ridiculous these days.  I'm glad I stocked up on the vintage stuff.

15. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I got into the game too late for the more reasonable priced Forgecrafts :/

Are there other vintage American carbon steel names that are consistently decent? I have a vintage Lamson that is still a work in progress, edge retention is ehh

16. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Yeah, I'd probably take a grinder to it the same day I got it.... :-o

17. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Are there any other Sabatier-like brands or American makers that make cheaper sub-$100 THIN carbon-steel knives? Preferably, without that bolster thing... Not to threadjack or anything just wondering?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  18. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Dunno. My forgecrafts were never thin out of the box. But the great thing about monosteel carbon- sharpens real fast. Thinned it on a coarse stone in less than half an hour. Even faster wih power tools but i dodnt have those back then

Forgecraft, Dexter, case, XXL, lamson and goodnow are the ones i know of

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  19. ocdshaver

ocdshaver

Exp:
    At home cook
  20. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    you can find paring/utility knives for less than $100.  this guy has many vintage knives http://stores.ebay.com/ralph1396?_rdc=1.