Another newbie from Ca.

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by curlee1, Dec 9, 2003.

1. curlee1

curlee1

I was so happy to read that non-chefs can join too. What a relief :D

I don't like to cook everyday but I do enjoy cooking for special occasions or when I'm feeling adventurous after discovering a new recipe. After a lot of trial and error with mostly successes, I am at the point where I'd like to become more competent and focused about my cooking. My goal is to put together a repetoire I can both rely on and expand as the needs of my guests change. Unfortunately I don't know very many veteran chefs to pester with my questions or bounce ideas off of. My friends are in the same boat, they often ask me for advice :eek: So I am very happy that I can come here every once and awhile and ask a question or two.

2. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome curlee1!:)

The pros here are amazing and incredibly patient with questions.
    And the home-cooks are no slouches either. ;)

I gather that you've been "lurking" for awhile. Which forums do you tend to read? And what types of recipes motivate you? Personally, I'm attracted to long ones with lots of steps because I love the process while my husband gravitates towards short, fast ones with very little prep.

3. curlee1

curlee1

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I have only been lurking a little while. I basically dove in here feet first :bounce: I have a few upcoming get togethers towards the beginning of the year, so I 'd like to start my planning a little ahead of time. I already anticipate a few questions. So far I really like to peruse all the forums, but I especially like the Cooks Corner.

Your question about what recipes motivate me is a good one. Generally I prefer simple ones that combine interesting ingredients. I recently tried Ligurian Chicken from a NY Times article I saw. It was very basic, it had chicken, olives, tomatoes, wine, garlic and rosemary (and anchovies). Both DH and I loved it because it was so flavorful yet simple. I am also motivated by my guests. I have a group of friends with whom I get together to have wine and apps. They are pretty adventurous so I choose more exotic recipes when I cook for them and more conservative recipes for when I cook for my less culinarily adventurous friends.

I admire the fact that you try recipes with lots of steps. I usually prefer quicker recipes because of space and time limitations however I occasionally attempt more complicated recipes if I can spread the steps over two days. Recently I have noticed I have had more patience and have become organized so I am a little less daunted by long recipes.

4. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The recipe sounds good. Frankly, I could eat that combo of olives (kalamata or similar), tomatoes, wine, garlic (lots) and rosemary on just about anything. :D

One thing about prep: About a year ago I took a knife skills class at a local culinary school and it's made all the difference. I'm faster and more accurate with less effort.

Anyway, welcome again.

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'd like to add my greetings, curlee1. I, too, was relieved to find that we amateurs were not only welcome to browse and post, but are respected by the professionals among us! I hope this will soon feel like your culinary home on-line.

What else (besides cooking) keeps you busy?

6. curlee1

curlee1

Thanks!

I manage to keep busy with home repairs and looking after my geriatric pets (who create home repairs). I periodically delve into creative outlets other than cooking, currently I am in the process of making my own holiday cards. I work in the legal field fulltime as well.

7. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    curlee1.
    The most important thing that you will learn here about cooking is that the dessert is the only part of the meal your guests will care about!!!!:D
    oh yes, a good portion of culiniarians can't spell.
    Welcome