Another Mufin Question...

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by lynne, Nov 14, 2000.

1. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Momoreg or M Brown, maybe you know the answer to this question.

Have you ever seen the muffin recipes that include raisin bran and buttermilk; make a large batch of muffins that can supposedly lasts 6 weeks? What makes it work? Is there a way to transfer the recipe to a non-raisin bran based recipe? (I've done a little experimenting and haven't been too pleased with the results although the original recipe is great. The muffins are really light and have a great rise to them. I take the basic mix and add in an assortment of flavours. It really helps in the mornings when I want multiple types of muffins and still have the rest of breakfast to prepare.

The recipe that I have used with great success so far is as follows:

4 beaten eggs
    2 c. sugar
    1 c. salad oil
    1 quart buttermilk
    5 t. baking soda
    2 t. salt
    5 c. flour
    15 oz. raisin bran

Combine, etc....I then add streusel toppings fillings that range from mandarins to banana to coconut, etc...I have to admit it's a very forgiving recipe and I love that I can bake fresh muffins for 1 or a full house!

TIA!

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    wasn't that on the back of the box...or was it that all-bran cereal...6 weeks...I'm amazed it doesn't get really funky

3. isa

isa

From what I've learn lately about leavening agent I doubt the baking soda would still be active after 6 weeks in the fridge. Am I right M Brown ?

There are recipes for dry mix muffins that you can prepare ahead of time. When you need some you just add eggs and liquid.

4. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This was actually in an innkeepers book. It's raisin bran not the heavy bulky raisin. The muffins come out surprisingly light and fluffy. The mix hasn't gotten funky (just started 1 week ago) and I have to say that they are rising just as well now as they did one week ago. (It doesn't make enough to last my usage 6 weeks). I guess it's due to the "double acting" part. Isn't it first rise on addition of wet; 2nd rise on adddition of heat? The muffin batter did get larger sitting in fridge on night one.

I think it's kinda funky; kinda cool.

I do some dry mixes too just to make those mornings easier! Who knows? I had never seen such a thing and I'm "spearmentin'"

Lynne

5. isa

isa

Lynne,

Just when I thought I knew everything about yeast, I learned more by reading your post. Guess I shouldn't call baking soda a yeast, that is where I made my mistake. Now you got me curious about that muffin batter I may give it a try.

Sisi

6. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I don't do it often, but when I refrigerate a batter overnight, or freeze it and thaw it out, cakes and muffins do tend to lose some of their lightness. Lynne, it's true, the soda will react with the buttermilk before the muffins even go in the oven. I'm surprised they come out as light as they do. Also, if you're using beaten eggs, you're losing some volume there , too. I'm totally shocked that your muffins don't come out heavier. At least you have oil, which is better than butter in a lot of muffin recipes, because it moistens better.

I don't know if I misuderstood, but when you say 6 weeks, that means raw batter in the fridge??? I wouldn't keep raw batter more than 5 days in there. Just a little side note.

No, I don't know of an equivalent without the raisin bran. Maybe try adding other cereals??? (Cheerios, corn flakes, rice krispies, etc.)

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I think All-Bran or Raisin Bran are the muffin cereals...the others don't seem to translate.
    ON a slightly different note Angel Biscuits are a biscuit dough that sits in your fridge too....they taught that to me in HS Home EC

8. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Being a good little southern girl, I would have to say that I have never heard of leaving angel biscuits in the refrigerator for extended periods. You can do a slow rise (they are yeast based v. baking powder) overnight but....? Who knows? I can give you an awesome recipe for them though.

9. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    weed hopper, do not question the mystery of the raisin bran muffin...

the reaction of the mix with heat, the double of the double action of the baking powder. Six weeks is enough time to harbor some yeast growth, adding to the rise. ( just a hunch.)
    Frozen and extended batters have saved many and innkeepers *** .

[​IMG]

------------------
    bake first, ask questions later