another i need help on a knife thread

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by ricky carmenate, Nov 18, 2012.

1. ricky carmenate

ricky carmenate

Exp:
    Line Cook
    im getting my first japanese knife and i need some help. im looking for something around 8 or 9 inches. my sharpening skills are average but getting better by the day. im going to use this knife everyday. i rock and push cut depends on what im cutting. i cut more veggies then anything else. im looking at 150 to 200 price range western handle. any suggestions?

2. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My suggestion would be to get a MAC to use/abuse, learn how to sharpen, etc, then move on to the rolls-royce type of japanese knives once you get a handle on the finer points. 

MAC are solid knives, I own several, that last years, are easy to sharpen and take a great edge. 

If you are truly wanting to spend a lot of money you can, but MACs are in your price range and are very solid. You can of course get better knives, but you'd probably have to spend at least 100 dollars more. 

3. ricky carmenate

ricky carmenate

Exp:
    Line Cook
    i love mac ive used a co workers and i love it. whats a good site to buy macs at the best price. what series should i get im looking into the mac professional series. should i go 8 1/2 inch chef knife or with a 7 inch santoku?

4. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/index.php
    IMHO, a santoku is useless for rocking and, for me, for any other use in my kitchen /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

5. ricky carmenate

ricky carmenate

Exp:
    Line Cook
    thanks im going to go with the 8 inch in the professional series what do you think? and anywhere other then the mac website where i can get a better price?

6. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  7. rdm magic

rdm magic

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Go longer

8. chef bilby

chef bilby

Exp: