Another chef I've been watching

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cape chef, May 10, 2005.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Now that is a menu that I could really get in to. So many great sounding items on the menu I don't know where to begin.

3. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    and yet another graduate of good old johnny wales does good. class of 1981.
    and a rather charming fellow back then.
    kat

4. markv

markv

A wonderul menu but ixnay on the veal tongue.

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oh but it's so good!!! :chef:

6. markv

markv

Cape Chef:

Ya know, I'm sure it does taste good but I just can't get past the fact that it's an animal's tongue. I know it's all psychological. I've even written about this phenonmenon in my cooking column:

http://www.ahherald.com/food/2003/ft_030508_taste.htm

But alas, I am not without my own psychological vulnerabilities to certain foods. In addition to tongue I can't "stomach" kidneys, sweetbreads or frog's legs.

But you couldn't feed me enough foie gras :lips:

Mark

7. kerryclan

kerryclan

Love your article, Mark. I generally agree with your thought about the effect of what one is exposed to growing up having an impact upon food aversions.

I never had frogs legs or kidney growing up and cannot even try them now. But my grandfather was a chef and made things like beef heart, tongue, rabbit. I was paralyzed with aversion at the dinner table, wound up eating something else, and to this day will not have any of these things. Now, everyone else enjoyed these dishes and urged me to give it a try, but for me - no way.

So, I dunno, maybe the issue is a little more complicated than just a cultural phenomenon. Or, I'm a real jerk! :(

8. markv

markv

Kerry:

Thank you for your compliments. Yes, there's absolutely more than just culture influencing our food likes and dislikes. There's a whole psychology to it as well and Americans are replete with food neurosis.

Rabbit tastes good but the worse thing about it is cutting up its little carcas.

That said, I make a wicked rabbit loin stuffed with tapenade.

Mark