Another bread book

Discussion in 'Cookbook Reviews' started by kimmie, Sep 27, 2001.

1. kimmie

kimmie

The Taste of Bread : A Translation of Le Gout Du Pain, Comment Le Preserver, Comment Le Retrouver--by Raymond Calvel, Ronald L. Wirtz, James J. MacGuire

Format: Hardcover, 1st ed., 216pp.
    ISBN: 0834216469
    Publisher: Aspen Publishers, Inc.
    Pub. Date: January 2000

Contents

Characteristics of Raw Materials and Dough Production * The Role of Mixing and of Yeast Fermentation in the Creation of Bread Taste * Baking and Keeping Qualities of Bread and Their Relationship to Taste * Bread and the Consumer. Traditional and Speciality Bread Production * Yeast-raised Sweet Dough Products, Common and Dietetic Rusks, Breadsticks, Croissants, Parisian and Regional Brioches * Bread and the Consumer. Nuturitional Value of Bread. Bread and Gastronomy.

Review Quotes

At last, Raymond Calvel’s Le Gout du Pain is available in English, translated by Ronald Wirtz. Mr. Calvel is known throughout the world for his research on the production of quality French and European hearth breads. Supplemented with dozens of black and white photos, drawings, and color plates, this book provides the basic technical knowledge that is necessary to the development of competence in the manufacture of hearth breads.

You will get a good price at
    Barnes & Noble

The book is intended for professional bakers.

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

2. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    M. Calvel is rumored to be a true guru. He is often cited in other bread books. I'm not sure I am ready for him quite yet. I did just order Beth Hensberger's Bread Bible, Secrets of a Jewish Baker and The Village Baker by Joe Ortiz. 3 new books, Frank refreshed and ready, girlfriend away for the weekend....I smell trouble!

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Warning, warning, remote sensors indicate information overload chez KyleW. Warning, warning... :cool:

4. kimmie

kimmie

Hey Kyle,

You will love Beth Hensberger's Bread Bible.

;)

5. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I got one out of three; The Village Baker. I guess I'll get the other two on Monday. I think it's kinda tough to get anything south of Canal Street these days so I won't b***h :)

6. kimmie

kimmie

Hey Kyle,

I would consider Calvel's book seriously if I were you. I feel you are just about ready for a really serious book on bread!

;)

7. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Frank anf Ernest may get a sister. I am going to try Ortiz's real basic (flour and water only!) starter. It looks almost like an old dough thing. You keep a walnut size chunk. Film at 11!

8. isa

isa

Kim's right The Bread Bible is a great book. Been working my way through it since I got it. So far so good, everything turned out great.

How to you like The Village Baker Kyle?

9. thebighat

thebighat

My baking formula tech instructor from J&W emailed me and said the Calvel book was out and really recommended it. What's the deal? Lots of info, I'm sure, but any formulas?

10. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
  11. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    OK, it's true. I have no will power! It's a good thing I don't have kids. After having just spent $48 on a (the?) bread book, they might be going hungry!

12. isa

isa

13. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    It's a given Iza :) In fact, at the same time as his book is released in November, Peter Reinhart will be touring with members of The Bakers Dozen. They are going to be promoting their new book as well. They have a stop @ The Institute of Culinary Education (I.C.E. formerly known as Peter Kump's New York Cooking School). I have a well placed contact at I.C.E and think I will be able to sneak in :)

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

14. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I just got Calvel's book. It looks much more like a text book than a cook book. I just wish I had a fire place to out my feet up in front of. This book looks very cool.

TBH - There seem to be many formulae.

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

15. risa

risa

When did Peter Kump's change names? Not that it makes any difference to me since I'm far far away from NYC and not likely to be going to cooking school any time soon.

16. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    The name change happened the middle of last month.

17. isa

isa

Does that mean you'll give us a resume of the lecture? :)

18. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Attention class!

Iza - I tried to send you a private message but your box is full :(

19. isa

isa

I know Kyle I've been having problem with it, I can't seem to be able to empty my mailbox. I finally asked Nicko to help me. Problem should be fix in a few days.

20. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I was going to ask you about kimmie but I heard from her yesterday :) Just wanted to make sure she was ok.