Angus Beef

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by markv, Jun 25, 2004.

1. markv

markv

Dear Friends:

I want to check something out with all of you.

TRUE OR FALSE

Black Angus beef is not necessarily better quality. Angus is just another breed of cattle. Clever marketing has created the impression that it is "better" and hence the higher price. But a choice Angus steak is comparable to most other choice steaks, just as a prime Angus steak is comparable to most other prome steaks.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    IMHO: True.

It's better than the stuff in the regular meat case in the grocery store, but it is not a competitor for the good stuff from a butcher.

3. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    From what I have found is that most cattle butchered for beef are of some angus descent.The certified angus beef program that so many sales programs push is a lot of hype in my opinion.In beef it is the marbeling that counts for the most part so I would pay more attention to the USDA labels of prime, choice and select.Now saying this I must admit to having eaton at a Black Angus steak house in the early 80s that realy did a fine steak so who knows? I find the best beef comes from the best and oldest butcher shop in your area.My 2 cents, doug..................

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    True. But the Certified Angus Beef program only certifies the two highest levels of choice as CAB. "Other" Angus choice may or may not be as marbled. So what you're buying when you buy into the CAB program is consistency. Heck I've seen no-rolls as good as CAB, rarely, but I've seen it.

But if it were up to me, choice is good enough. If you're buying Prime, then there's no discernable difference in consistency.

Kuan