Angus beef roast + fish sauce + Ceylon cinnamon

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001

Fish sauce is great for that.  Amazing flavor.  For roasts I have always used Worcestershire versus Thai Fish Sauce, but they both work and are similar. 

You do not need to refrigerate, and it will never really go bad.
Fish sauce is already bad, by definition.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I was just watching the new Emeril show "Emeril Eats the World" where he went to Italy and was hanging out with Nancy Silverton.  They showed them making fish sauce using alternating layers of anchovies and salt.  They let it ferment and they let the sauce drip out a hole in the bottom of the vessel.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Well, after a few days of pondering the flavors, here's what I have to state:  the usage of fish sauce widens the depth of the salty flavor giving a more fuller flavor profile (and mouthfeel???).

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I agree it's good in many savory applications. Can also help out clam chowder for example.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001

Well, after a few days of pondering the flavors, here's what I have to state:  the usage of fish sauce widens the depth of the salty flavor giving a more fuller flavor profile (and mouthfeel???).
You sure started an interesting discussion though.  Weird bunch of people discussing the nuances of fish sauce.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   I mean, this is why I walk around wondering if I'm a bit odd, then I come here and sure enough I know I'm odd.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
You sure started an interesting discussion though.  Weird bunch of people discussing the nuances of fish sauce.  :lol:   I mean, this is why I walk around wondering if I'm a bit odd, then I come here and sure enough I know I'm odd.
It's ok to be odd as long as there are others willing to be odd with you. This is our people.

Latest posts

Top Bottom