Angus beef roast + fish sauce + Ceylon cinnamon

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kokopuffs, Oct 31, 2016.

1. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The fish sauce aka anchovie extract fills out the flavor like no other ever could.  The Ceylon cinnamon aka Mexican cinnamon, adds a lil' sparkle, too.  A great flavour combination for Angus beef braised a la pot roast.

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Careful with the fish sauce!  

3. summer57

summer57

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yes, fish sauce can be overpowering but the right amount of good fish sauce is really good. I use Red Boat fish sauce in so many things, from cauliflower to meatloaf to spaghetti sauce.  And yes, to pot roast, too!

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I used only 1/4 tsp fish sauce for a 3# roast along with the usual amount of wine and beef stock and veggies.  Not overpowering at all but it, indeed, adds a special saltiness that's tastey.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    kuan likes this.
  5. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    You have sold me.

Can fish sauce be kept in the fridge?

mimi

6. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    Fish sauce is great for that.  Amazing flavor.  For roasts I have always used Worcestershire versus Thai Fish Sauce, but they both work and are similar. 
    You do not need to refrigerate, and it will never really go bad.

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    How do you use the Worcestershire on a roast @Planethoff? Rub it on?

8. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    There's a school of thought that it loses/shifts flavor over about 6 months. French Fries has detected the shift himself and asked about it and I pointed him to vietworldkitchen.com where that blogger talked about it as well.

I can see a color change around that point, but I'm harder pressed to say it tastes off.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  9. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I've heard the same "6-month" thing too but can't tell the difference between fresh and 1-year old stored in the refrigerator. I asked my favorite Vietnamese neighbor once but he couldn't comment since it never lasts very long in his household anyway. After a couple of years I noticed a color change because solids started to settle or precipitate out. That's when I throw it away and buy new... because I assume it changes the flavor even though I can't really tell with my tongue.

10. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    Well in the instance kokopuffs is talking about.  I would just add it to the braising liquid, but I do also use it for a roast as a rub.  Worcestershire, olive oil, S & P, minced garlic and sometimes rosemary.  Very tasty crust.

11. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I believe that Worcestershire sauce contains anchovy.  And I possess Thai brand fish sauce, my first bottle, and not being a connaisseur of the stuff, it tastes the same even after spending a year at home.

12. luis de vence

luis de vence

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I still have a 3 year old bottle of fish sauce at home. There is sediment accumalated at the bottom of the bottle, but the flavor profile still persist. 

13. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Anyone have a favorite brand?

mimi

14. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Red Boat

15. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I can only get "oyster" brand.

It's OK.

I went to Vietnam a couple of years ago and their fish sauce was amazing!

But you were not allowed to take it on the plane, otherwise I would have bought plenty.

I am a big fish sauce fan

16. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Big time second on Red Boat!!!

17. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I'm vietnamese and I have probably tried a dozen fish sauce brands in my life.   I will third Red boat.  

I keep mine in the fridge, but it's a giant bottle.   Smaller bottles I would just leave in a cabinet.  I don't like sunlight on it.

18. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Well, I'm not sure why others don't report the same experience I have.... I have tried many different types of fish sauce, Thai stuff, Vietnamese stuff, Three Crabs, Squid, Lucky, and more recently Red Boat. I know most people tell you they keep forever, but that's definitely not my experience.

Just now I've had a small bottle of Red Boat fish sauce in my fridge since beginning of July, the stuff is COMPLETELY different from when I bought it, I'm probably going to have to throw it away and buy a new one. I'm not talking about a subtle difference either. The sauce went from quite clear and see-through to very dark and completely opaque. The flavor is completely different. Think fresh goat cheese vs aged goat cheese perhaps. Much, much stronger, in fact just open the bottle and it starts stinking the whole house (a brand new bottle does not do that).

I found that others have reported the same experience I have. Here's a poster on the eGullet forum, comparing a 2 year old bottle of fish sauce with the same sauce, brand new bottle:

19. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    @French Fries    It's a ferment.  It is alive.  It will change with time.  Some would say that the fishy smell you observe is desirable.  

It's about learning how to use it.  Add a little bit at a time, taste, and adjust.  I don't follow recipe amounts when it comes to fish sauce, soy sauce, miso or any other ferments.  It varies way too much.  

20. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I understand all of that, but what I'm saying is that while the taste is really good, strong yet delicate, powerful but rich and complex, when the bottle is new, a few months later the flavor profile has turned into something that's completely overpowering, vile, rotten, muddy, undefined.... even if you use less of it (because it's so much stronger), it doesn't taste nearly the same. 

And for what it's worth I never really measure my ingredients, I do it all by taste. And I've used fish sauce ever since I was a kid. So it's not like I'm new to it. I know exactly the kind of flavor I want it to bring to my dish, only once the bottle is a few months old, it no longer does the trick IMO.