Angel Food Cake

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by harjk, Oct 27, 2017.

1. harjk

harjk

Exp:
    Hi. Can anyone tell me the ball park figure of how long the egg white mixture needs to be beat for? I know stiff peaks are needed but typically how long in minutes does that take? I also use a CuisineArt mixer with 12 settings so any recommendation on the particular speed setting would be appreciated as well.

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Welcome to ChefTalk harjk.

I assume this is your first time making anything with whipped egg whites?
    Take the eggs out of the fridge earlier in the day so they come to room temperature. They will whip up higher in volume.

Place your whites in the Kitchen aid bowl and use the balloon whip attachment. You can start the machine on its' highest setting. After mixing the eggs for a while, you'll start to see foam bubbles, now it's time to slowly add the sugar a little at a time still while the machine is on high. Patience. You'll start to see the eggs turning white and getting thicker. Keep a good eye on this. 3-4 minutes is about all. You'll know they are stiff peaks, if you remove the whip from the bowl and bowl from the machine when turned upside-down the the whites remain intact.
    Over beaten egg whites get lacy edges and will be hard to fold into the cake batter.

Hope this helps

3. harjk

harjk

Exp:
    Yes new to whipped egg whites. Thanks Chef Ross I will try it with these tips.

4. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I see you are new to the site so welcome to Chef Talk.
    One of my first memories of my Gma Van involves a chocolate pie with a mile high meringue top.
    Thought the whole process magical...taking a few egg whites kept back from the silky filling... drop into an ancient stand mixer (way loud that mixer...intimidating at best for my four year old self) whiz a bit add sugar and a pinch of cream of tartar or maybe a couple of drops of lemon juice then back on high for a few min and boom...there was a bowl full of the stuff.

Have no clue how many scrambled egg lunches we endured on my quest to master the essential step of separating the yolk and white but having taught my share of young bakers I can imagine it was more than a few lol.
    The current apprentice is my name sake and she has spent a year tapping the shell and then squeezing it open.
    Ok for most applications but not quite meringue material yet...altho she has become quite good at fishing the shell out of the bowl.

Yeah I can ramble a bit but wanted to thank you for your question and wish you luck as you learn the ins and outs...both savory and sweet... of what is (IMO anyways) the workhorse that is a meringue.
    Don't be a stranger... Chef Talk is a great place to come and ask for help with sifting thru the insane amt of verbiage that has become the internet food world.

...and thanks again for tripping me back to (a lady never mentions her age ;-) my Gma ... a young girl ...and a great piece of pie.
    :)

mimi

5. harjk

harjk

Exp:
    Thanks for your input and the story!