And the September challenge is FISH...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by butzy, Sep 2, 2018.

1. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Some real nice fish @millionsknives !

Nothing better than fish straight from the water to the pan :)

2. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yep.. I've done that and had a pretty perfect beer batter. I will say, like most batters you need to season the #$*% out of it. I have been meaning to experiment with different batters and processes (buttermilk dip vs. water.. vs. cornstarch.. etc) in order to document them as recipes. Might be a good opportunity here to nail down a beer batter approach.

3. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Slightly less than a week left!
    Show us your creations, before the time is up ;)

4. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    EBCD829A-B616-4172-A81C-45D14BDD8933.jpeg Lunch today, cod filet with hot roasted broccoli, boiled potatos, in the shell poached egg, topped with white wine sauce, micro planed horseradish, and a salad of shrimp, crayfish tails, capers and fresh dill.

Tomorrow will arrive 30 sides of fresh salmon to be lightly graved then cold smoked, post the pics of the process during the next few days.

5. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    F0B02EE5-F60C-42C2-882D-2F107F6BA14B.jpeg 8FC2EA2A-2FDF-49F6-AEF9-2237097B70D6.jpeg Ok. Progress on the smoking of the lox. Got it in yesterday, trimmed the bellies and graved it lightly with salt, smoked salt and sugar, touch of white pepper. This morning rinsed it to stop the graving and into the smoker for the next two days, cold smoking.

6. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    That lox looks absolutely stunning!

lagom likes this.
  7. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    thank you.

8. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Finally getting around to posting an entry. It has been a busy month.

The Players

20180926_022129.jpg

Decided to do a tuna poke, a fairly simple, straightforward dish. One needs tuna, of course, here paired with some ginger, scallions, some shishito peppers out of the garden, soy sauce, sesame seeds and oil, with some Japanese furikake for the finishing touch.

20180926_004326.jpg

And as an extra treat, some salmon. I guess this one didn't eat enough of the chemicals that give it color. Oh well.

20180926_032006.jpg

And a poke bowl needs some rice.

The Process

First off the salmon had a hunk cut off, got sprinkled with table salt and stashed in the fridge for a few hours.

20180926_044205.jpg

I got this idea from a recipe by John Sugimura which I saw in "The Immigrant Cookbook". You salt the fish and let it cure for 2 - 3 hours in the fridge. Turns out nothing at all like the tea cured salmon I often do which is packed in salt, sugar and tea leavers that goes for days. In the short time for this there is a fair bit of water drawn out, the fish firms up just a bit and has a bit more flavor.

Once the salmon is tucked away, make the sauce.

20180926_023115.jpg

Soy sauce, a healthy splash of the sesame oil and some sesame seeds. The scallions are coarsely sliced, a nice sized knob of the ginger finely minced, as are the peppers, and they go in the bowl. The tuna gets cut into bite sized pieces, and added to the marinade. I don't seem to have a picture of that. Meanwhile the rice has been cooking for the allotted time, off the heat and rested for about 10 minutes.

20180926_040357.jpg

It was dumped into a glass baking dish, sprinkled with the sushi vinegar and mixed gently, allowed to continue cooling.

The Product

So the rice goes into a bowl, the salt cured salmon is cut into bite sized bits and some of the marinated tuna gets added to the bowl.

20180926_044924.jpg

I had an avocado that I sliced and also put in the bowl. It was past its prime and not that photogenic with the brown, oxidized bits. Oh well. It was still tasty, and poke bowl was very nice. I may have overdone the sesame seeds and furikake a bit, but not really a problem.

mjb.

9. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Good looking eats teamfat.

10. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    8F168256-4F7C-459E-A198-B56775D590C4.jpeg Couple pictures before the end of the month. Took the lax from the smoker yesterday after 48 hours. Now it will sit in the fridge for 4/5 days to suck in the flavor then into the freezer it goes.

11. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    0A48BD04-F604-465A-83C8-B8716C16C096.jpeg D5B0169F-58E0-4597-86C7-0EB4B929155B.jpeg Didn’t get a pic the final product but got some nice fresh plaice. Took the fins and and head off. Got a lite dip in rough rye flour then into a hot frying pan with butter sea salt and white pepper. Finish in a 150c over until 63c at the bone. Served with hard fried button mushrooms,celery and deep fried capers. Brown butter with a bit of horseradish and garnish with crispy deep fried parsley and celery leaves. Nice buttery boiled potatos on the side.

12. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    And I think we have reached the end of the month, even at the far end of the world :)

The winner of the September fish challenge is @lagom with an impressive amount of tasty entries.

Special mentions to
    @millionsknives for the fishing stories, action shots and great fish dishes
    @koukouvagia for using a technique I wasn't familiar with: poaching in olive oil. That seabass looked gorgeous
    @ChefBryan with his amazing looking lox on boxties and
    @teamfat for the salt cured salmon and tuna dish. Wouldn't mind getting that served to me !

(hope I didn't forget anyone....)

@lagom , It's up to you to come up with the October challenge!

ChefBryan and lagom like this.
  13. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Great choice! Congratulations @lagom Can't wait to see what you come up with for October

lagom likes this.
  14. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thank you @butzy, I’m honored. I was lucky enough to take over a small hotel/restaurant on one of the local islands and we’re all about the local seafood. It’s a fun change of pace to say the least. I’ve got a couple of thoughts for the October challenge so let me mull it over a few minutes and then toss a coin. See y’all in the new thread.

morning glory likes this.
  15. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Make it fish again. I was planning on doing a whole salt crust baked fish, some beer batter fish and chips, some fried smelt in the Nashville Hot style, some salt fish and chicken fried rice, some tea cured salmon, hot smoked salmon with apple and onion chutney, a Vietnamese catfish in clay pot dish, ...

Good job!

mjb.

fatcook and lagom like this.
  16. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I almost went shellfish teamfat but i think you’ll like the new challenge. Take a look and tell me what ya think.

17. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Awesome, congrats lagom and thanks butzy, I always regret not submitting more!

lagom likes this.
  18. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    Congratulations lagom!

lagom likes this.
  19. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    @drirene. Did you avoid any fallout from the hurricane? My sister in W/S have some area flooding but nothing too serious.

20. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    Sorry for the late reply @lagom! We are way west in the NC mountains, so despite all the dire weather wind and rain and flood warnings, we got zero. Glad your sister came out ok too.