And the September challenge is FISH...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by butzy, Sep 2, 2018.

1. ChefBryan

ChefBryan

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    boxty with salmon.jpg

Boxty with malt pickled fennel, roasted beet jam, and nova lox. All the elements together tasted like a sophisticated bbq

rick alan, drirene and butzy like this.
  2. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Looks nice. Love me some nova lax. What is boxty?

drirene likes this.
  3. ChefBryan

ChefBryan

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's like an Irish latke

lagom likes this.
  4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    1F4E4A10-2EE1-4D4E-846A-ED8147274F25.jpeg 78362EEA-775A-4AA3-8A8D-2B0BE28B7FB1.jpeg New technique for me, sea bass poached in olive oil. I tucked in some lemon rounds, garlic and fresh thyme. The trickiest part is knowing when the fish is cooked, I got lucky and it was perfectly cooked through. The family devoured it, skin and all, which I was planning on tossing. Next time i do this it will be with tuna!

5. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @ChefBryan : Nice looking dish! And welcome to the monthly Challenge ;)

@koukouvagia : That sea bass looks delicious. And those lemons really complement the dish!

6. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I love fish cooked in olive oil, i use a nice spicy picual and just spoon it over the fish.

koukouvagia likes this.
  7. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    0A43C81D-D527-4D36-95CC-D6A1BDAE4DE1.jpeg

butzy and drirene like this.
  8. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Starter from last evening. Shellfish terrine. Cream fraish and philly cheese, augar augar, chives, shrimp, crayfish. Mixed and formed, sliced and topped with marinated red onion, mixed greens, shaved radish, trout roe, dill rapè oil, and (not shown) thin sliced dried danish dark bread. Gratuitous flowers from the garden.

butzy, rick alan and millionsknives like this.
  9. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018 at 1:36 AM
    lagom likes this.
  10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    lagom likes this.
  11. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mea Copa, I got carried away, recently took over a small island hotel and been having too much fun in the kitchen

12. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I've been honryu fishing and it is a LOT of fun. Big telescoping 7 meter rod (20+ ft), 4 m line, fly or bait, big rivers. I've caught more trout and salmon this way than any other and I've tried them all. As far as I know I'm the only person doing this type of thing in the Northeast US.

This was a weekday outing. Not my favorite river, not my favorite spots, but can't argue with the distance from my house. Caught a carp 9 or 10 inches, not really my fav eats and not huge so I didn't keep it, forgot to even consider it is invasive and let it go.

20180917_175534.jpg

Here's some bluegills I didn't let go. City folk might thumb their nose up at pan fish but it's called pan fish for a reason! Fried up with some seasoned corn meal it's one of the best freshwater eats you can have. Then again, my mantra is trout or pout...

DSC_0029.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018 at 12:17 PM
  13. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Blue gill, carp and catfish all bring back childhood memories of quary fishing and the fish fries we had after. Good times and good eats.

fatcook likes this.
  14. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Where abouts were you fishing? Merrimack?

15. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Nashua river, it's a tributary into the Merrimack river heading north from massachusetts. Usually I like driving up into the NH mountains for the cleaner cold, clear, fast moving water. The Pemigawasett is a tributary also feeding into the Merrimack but coming down from cold mountain streams. Pretty much ONLY catch trout and salmon there.

lagom likes this.
  16. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ahhh, I fished the Nashua river a couple times when I lived in Salem NH.back in the 80’s. Found plenty of nice creeks in the white mountains for fly fishing, not that I could remember any names if them, alas getting old. Now I’m mostly relegated to mackerel and crab fishing, but I’ve fly fished a few times up in the Sälen region and gone out on the lobster boats a few times.

millionsknives likes this.
  17. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Had my share, maybe more than my share of pan fried bluegill and perch that were just minutes out of the water back in southern Michigan and northern Indiana back in the day.

A few years ago was in Wisconsin for a sports car race. Went to dinner with a group of friends. The place had a walleye dinner special, which I ordered. Server came back to the table to inform me they didn't have enough walleye left to do a full dinner. She asked if it would be okay if they put some perch on the plate to make a full meal. Of course I agreed.

fatcook and lagom like this.
  18. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I'll eat yellow perch over just about anything fresh water any day. Walleye is my #2, Crappie #3. Northerns are a pain to work with, but the meat is delicious.

19. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
  20. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Work put me near the coast so I had to try my luck surf fishing off the rocks. Not much, what's scup with you?

DSC_0036.jpg DSC_0038.jpg
    Also called porgy or sea bream. Up here it's called scup from the Narragansett word mischcuppauog. Not much to fillet and very bony, I like to dredge them in corn starch and pan fry in a wok. The left two have scallion, ginger, garlic, soy. The right one has a fish sauce honey glaze, garlic, thai chili, and cilantro.

fatcook likes this.